Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Berger Target VLDs for Hunting Experiences?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2010, 08:37 PM
Gold Member

Re: Berger Target VLDs for Hunting Experiences?

I know that my experience is far less than a lot of people here, but with the cartridges that seem to blow up Berger's, the advice usually given is to go to Sierra SMK's.
With the 3 or 4 wildcats that I load for the SMK's hold up when others won't, and there has been a LOT of game killed very effectively with them,(SMK'S) so I would have to assume that even the Thick Berger's should be very lethal.
Dave
Old 03-11-2010, 09:15 PM
Platinum Member

My focus on the 115 gr .257 Berger Target VLD is due to their G1 BC of 0.466 versus the Sierra G1 BC of 0.410. If the Berger Target VLDs will survive my launch velocity, provide good accuracy, and expand on game, they may be my best option - given that I have a 10-twist barrel. I appreciate all the feedback on the Target VLD experiences. They sound like a viable option and I'm encouraged.

I did receive feedback from one member who has had more than one incident where the Target VLDs penciled through deer-sized game when no bone was hit with his 25-06. When the bullets struck bone, the bullets always expanded - no problems.

I have one box of 130 gr .257 WildCat RBBTs to test out, but I'm doubtful they'll stabilize in my 10-twist barrel. I just received three boxes of the .257 Berger Target VLDs. So they're now on the agenda for range testing for high MV survivability and accuracy.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:38 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
If you REALLY want to expand at low velocity, use the A-max. I wouldn't use it up too close though.....Rich
And just how slow? Just stay within mach one and it'll expand???

Berger datas and recommendations are pretty conservative compared to what many other folks do with VLDs. Shooting it faster and use minimum impact velocity as slow as 1400fps.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by theodore View Post
Berger datas and recommendations are pretty conservative compared to what many other folks do with VLDs. Shooting it faster and use minimum impact velocity as slow as 1400fps.
As mentioned, a lot has to do with what the bullet hits on the way in. Hitting bone will tend to start expansion and deformation. Hitting only hide and flesh may result in an unexpanded bullet at lower velocites.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanarifleman View Post
as mentioned, a lot has to do with what the bullet hits on the way in. Hitting bone will tend to start expansion and deformation. Hitting only hide and flesh may result in an unexpanded bullet at lower velocites.
right on!
Old 03-12-2010, 01:49 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
As mentioned, a lot has to do with what the bullet hits on the way in. Hitting bone will tend to start expansion and deformation. Hitting only hide and flesh may result in an unexpanded bullet at lower velocites.
You're right, besides arron davidson from Best Of The West tested minimum impact velocity on gel boxes (acts like hide/flesh). Some VLD didn't open up under 1800fps. This info used to exist on the original forums from BOTW, the website was renewed and did everything they can (with great effort) to save the old forum but were unable to do so.(That I know up-to-date)
Old 09-21-2012, 11:47 AM
Platinum Member

Re: .257 Berger Target VLDs for Hunting Experiences?

A pertinent update to this thread. Berger's marketing department recently told another Forum member that their 115 gr .257 caliber Hunting and Target VLDs are the same exact bullet. This is evidently not the case in their other calibers, but for some reason or another, this 115 gr Berger .257 bullet only comes in one flavor. Which makes me wonder, is the 115 gr .257 bullet manufactured with the hunting version jacket or the target version jacket?

Here's a link to this member's Post:
Berger VLD vs Berger Match Hunting VLD

And here's the reply he says he received from Berger's marketing department:

"In regards to all of our other Target and Hunting bullets the Target bullets have a thicker jacket to withstand rougher conditions. However, the only bullet in the entire Berger line that is exactly the same in every way in both the Target and Hunting version is the 25 cal 115 gr VLD. There are no differences in these two bullets. We simply designate each one for their particular lines to help shooters use choose bullets for their disciplines. Please let me know if you need anything further. Have a great day!"