Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Berger Target VLDs for Hunting Experiences?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2010, 11:11 PM
Gold Member

Re: Berger Target VLDs for Hunting Experiences?

I shot an antelope with the 168 7mm target bullets several years ago at 456 yards. The results were devestating. No exit wound but the internal damage was tremendous, the chest cavity was complete jelly. DRT.

My Dad has shot a couple antelope with the 6.5 140 grain target bullets, both DRT. Both had exit wounds in the 1.5" range.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:11 AM
Gold Member

Do you guys think that the target bullets might open up a little more controlled than the hunting version. Maybe a tougher bullet???? From reading the last post it sounded like they still opened up good and penetrated all the way through where as the hunting blew up inside.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:57 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperjwt View Post
i am useing 77grains of RL22 and he is useing IMR 7828 but im not exactly sure how much. My barrel is whatever comes on a weatherby mk V 26" and his is a 30" but not sure of the maker.

Thanks for the info i will have to give it a try. Been sticking to the Hogdon powders due to hearing less suseptable to temp changes for hunting purposes. I need to try some RL 22 for sure..thxn
Old 03-11-2010, 08:48 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktail View Post
Thanks for the info i will have to give it a try. Been sticking to the Hogdon powders due to hearing less suseptable to temp changes for hunting purposes. I need to try some RL 22 for sure..thxn
i have herd that the RL powders are suseptable to temp changes but not sure about it because it was every bit of 85-90 degrees when i sighted it in and when i shot my doe at 580 yards this year it was about 30-35 and hit exactly where i was aiming so..........i dont know
Old 03-11-2010, 12:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
If my memory serves me well... which I think it does .... the meplat of the target bullets is the same thickness as the hunting bullets, and gradually thickens as it gets to the bearing surface of the bullet.

The minimum advertised expanding velocity for the Berger hunting bullets is 1800 fps, which is the same for many other hunting bullets. Ballistic tips are 1600 fps, as well as most GS HV's.
There might be some potential to sight in with the hunting bullets at use for ranges over 500 yds. and use the the target variety with the same zero at under 500. Interesting....Rich
Old 03-11-2010, 01:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
There might be some potential to sight in with the hunting bullets at use for ranges over 500 yds. and use the the target variety with the same zero at under 500. Interesting....Rich
That may be, but I'm guessing the target bullets open and expand at same (or very close) velocity as the hunting bullets. My hunch is that the target bullets are just as good a "hunting" bullet as the original J4 jacket bullets. My guess is at higher velocities, they will be very similar in performance (explosive) and at lower velocites the target bullets will probably hold together a little better.

Just guessing
Old 03-11-2010, 01:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
That may be, but I'm guessing the target bullets open and expand at same (or very close) velocity as the hunting bullets. My hunch is that the target bullets are just as good a "hunting" bullet as the original J4 jacket bullets. My guess is at higher velocities, they will be very similar in performance (explosive) and at lower velocites the target bullets will probably hold together a little better.

Just guessing
I would agree with the targets holding together better at lower velocities which would be a plus close up but not so good at long range i.e. (whatever that range is when the velocity is too slow to open) I would think that the reverse would also be true (they wouldn't be quite as apt to come apart at close range) I'm just guessing as well, but it makes perfect sense with the thicker jacket. Maybe I'll do some more bullet testing..Rich