Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Berger lowers B.C.s

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2009, 07:46 AM
Gold Member

Re: Berger lowers B.C.s

I ran into a similar problem but in the opposite direction (exbal was telling me I needed more wind and elevation than I was seeing on the range) I went into the exbal program and modified the bc component to ta proper number, then saved the profile in my pda as a specific load.

Jeffvn
Old 06-15-2009, 01:13 PM
Platinum Member

Maybe it's the way to go, I don't know.
When using G1 BC for bullets that are closer to G7, theres only going to be 1 or 2 ranges that are dead on anyway. If dead on at 700, they'll likely hit a bit high closer, and low further out.
So it seems like Bryan is averaging for what he believes will produce best overall results.
Kind of like defining 'point blank range' with a tolerance(kill zone).

I just don't think this is accounted for in ALL software though. For my use, Exbal, QuickTarget, and Pejsa have worked well with Berger's old numbers and my muzzle velocities.
I'm thinking the retarding terms used in common software already reduce effective BC with falling velocity at each range iteration. Or the software allows G7 retarding, and you wouldn't want to base that on low-averaged G1BC.
Guess I'll need to do specific testing to find out which works better.
I have alot to learn anyway.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:46 AM
Platinum Member

OK Boy's,

I got some feed back from Nightforce. The following is an extract from an Email sent to me by them.

> You can download updates at anytime from:
>
> www.perry-systems.com
>
> The updates do cost 17.00 USD and I update my software about once
every
> year.
>

Good one Nightforce, problem solved!!!
Old 06-22-2009, 05:38 PM
SPONSOR

Just a heads up that you can go to our website to also get G7 BCs for those bullets to which it applies. They are listed on our products page and on a Quick Reference Sheet that can be found on this forum and on our website (several links in many locations).

Also, Bryan wrote an article you can read on our web log that gives an explaination as to why we are including the G7 BC for our bullets.

If you want to get some more detailed information about our BCs contact Bryan directly at bryan.litz@bergerbullets.com.

Regards,
Eric

Berger Bullets