Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Berger lowers B.C.s

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2009, 09:15 PM
Platinum Member

Berger lowers B.C.s

I see on the Berger web site that most if not all B.C.s for their projectiles have been changed.

With these changes and other changes made by other manufacturers with the introduction of new bullets etc, my Nightforce Exbal program is rapidly getting out of date with regards to its bullet B.C. reference files.

I only bought the latest copy 8 months ago and it is already way out of date!

Anyone know how I can edit or update these files without having to purchase a new version of the program?

I know I can do manual inputs but I would still like to keep the bullet B.C. reference file up to date.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:32 AM
Gold Member

Re: Berger lowers B.C.s

Berger has NOT changed their bullets, just the way they calculate their advertised BC.

Read this entire link and it should answer most of your questions. If it does not you to can use the search function.

Dave

Changed Berger B.C.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:46 AM
Gold Member

Don't see where it makes a whole lot of difference, its just a starting point anyway. Of all the bullets I've shot in the last 7-8 years the only bullet that the published BC was spot on to what I was shooting was a lapua 139 gr scenar. Every other one that I've worked with I had to change the BC to make my charts match my actual trajectory. a couple examples

Nosler 160 accubond published BC is .531, I'm running .62 in exbal to make my chart match my trajectory to 1200+ yards.

Berger 140 gr vld, box says BC.64, I'm running it at .7 have shot it to 1060 and POI matches POA.

Using the same methods the 139 scenars were spot on with the published BC of .615 out to 1100 yards.
RR
Old 06-14-2009, 05:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtball View Post
Berger has NOT changed their bullets, just the way they calculate their advertised BC.

Read this entire link and it should answer most of your questions. If it does not you to can use the search function.

Dave

Changed Berger B.C.

I know that they have not changed their bullets! But the fact remains that they have updated their advertised B.C.'s and they are now significantly different to what is listed in my Exbal program.

It is the Exbal program that I am interested in and how to update the database files without buying a whole new software package.

If I am giong to use this software to compare bullets from different manufacturers, then I would like to compare the most up to date information possible.
Old 06-14-2009, 06:45 PM
Platinum Member

If you're tired of paying for sofware updates then purchase Patagonia Ballistics LoadBase software. Updates, and even some upgrades are free. They (PB) updated their Berger BCs quite some time ago.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:15 PM
Platinum Member

Why do you think you need to change BCs anway? I mean, for all we know, Berger may have departed from a standard our particular software relies on.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:19 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecr View Post
Why do you think you need to change BCs anway? I mean, for all we know, Berger may have departed from a standard our particular software relies on.

Aparently a ballistician by the name of Bill Davis came up with the original B.C.s for Berger bullets but recently a bloke by the name of Bryan Litz did some field tests and measured the actual B.C.s of berger bullets and found them to be consistently 3% to 5% high.

Berger has correctly republished these more accurate B.C. figures to better represent the true flight path of their bullets. This is a good thing!

It still leaves me with my Exbal problem. Maybe I should take phorwath's advice and invest in some software from Patagonia Ballistics?