Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Berger to introduce 7mm 195 gr EOL Hybrid Hunting Bullet

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2012, 12:09 AM
Silver Member

Re: Berger to introduce 7mm 195 gr EOL Hybrid Hunting Bullet

Well, I hope it can withstand the velocity, of my new 7am raptor staker
Old 02-12-2012, 12:04 AM
Silver Member

Having shot the 200gn Wildcats and the 189gn Caut's a lot in our big 7mm's in the Fatso family based on the necked down and improved 338 Lapua and 300 Norma brass, I think the 9" twist will be borderline if you want them to work from sealevel on up. The only 9" twist barrel that would stabilize the 200gn'ers at sealevel was a Kreiger. None of the button rifled barrels word stabilize them to 1000 yards. In a 30" Lilja, the 200's at 3300fps shot the tiniest groups ever at 600, but fell out of the sky before they got to the 1000 yard target board. The theory is that the cut rifled barrels are the true to twist rate, and the buttoned ones are always just a tad slower, and that certainly seemed to be the case from our testing. I know having spoken to Kirby a lot about this that he has no problem with them at his altitude with 9" twist Liljas, so its the thicker air at sealevel that's the problem. Now if these new Bergers are the same length as the 200gn Wildcats, then I don't believe you will reliably stabilize them out of 9" twists at sealevel either. I would suggest a 8.5" would be ideal at ours and Kirby's AM chambering's velocities, and an 8" in the WSM's etc - if you want them to work at sealevel. Even though we hunt up into many thousands of feet at least as high as you guys, we do our load developments at sealevel, and its a pain if the bullets don't make it to the target!

And to the jacket thickness, the thin jacket hunting 180gn Bergers won't work at all out of our 8" twist Broughtons at any sort of velocity. They will handle up to 3400fps out of 9" twists if you keep on top of your throats. The 8" twists worked superbly with the 200gn Wildcats at 3250 to 3300fps while Richard was making them, and also with the 189gn Caut's at 3375fps and the 175gn SMK's at 3475fps, and now we use the 180gn Hybrid exclusively in them at 3425fps. This bullet is so good at this velocity there hardly seems the need for another (did I really say that???).

Anyway, my point is that it will be a real juggling act trying to get enough twist to stabilize the 195's while not over spinning their thin jackets. Hopefully it can be done, if not, just bring them out with the target jacket as with the 180gn Hybrid and I'll be very happy!

These things are killing really well for us, here's a Red stag we just shot a couple of days ago with the under 7lbs including March scope 7mm Fatmax pushing the Hybrid at 3250fps. He was sitting down 720 yards away slightly quartering towards us with only the top 4" of his shoulder visible. As it was getting dark, we decided to take the shot. Willie hit him in front of the nearside shoulder, high through the forward upper section of chest, and the fully expanded bullet ended up the the offside shoulder blade. It had shed over half its weight smashing bone, but had certainly expanded! I wish I knew how to post up a video, as you'll see the stag's head just drops, he doesn't move at all other than a few quivers!

Anyway, looking forward to testing these new 195's - Berger, you've done it again!
Greg
Old 02-22-2012, 01:08 AM
Silver Member

Eric...

When the 270 170gr bullets come out in April where can i get them? Which distributers will have them first?

I just built a 270 WSM with a 9 twist 27" 5R Benchmark that i would love to feed these.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:19 AM
Platinum Member

Good post!

What do you mean by "if you keep on top of your throats."?
Old 02-22-2012, 01:45 PM
Silver Member

Roy,
Once a barrel has had a few rounds down it and you can feel the bore is tighter just ahead of the throat, we polish that section with an abrasive for a few short strokes, until we can feel a patch go through without extra resistance. We used to use JB's for this, but now use KG2, which is proving to be a superb, easy to use, liquid abrasive for this purpose. The fouler always seems to go in with the group as well which is a real bonus. This keeps our hot 7mm's shooting thin jackets for much longer!
Greg
Old 02-22-2012, 04:07 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Stecker View Post
I am at the SCI show and am standing next to Bob Beck from EOL as I write this post. We just received the design from Bryan Litz for the new Berger 7mm 195 gr EOL Hybrid Hunting bullet.

It has an estimated averaged G1 BC of .794 and a G7 BC of .406. For those who understand such things this bullet has a G7 form factor of .850. For those who don't know what that means it means that this bullet is the slickest (in terms of velocity retention) on the planet.

Bryan has relayed that this bullet at an estimated 1.637" long will need at least a 1:8.5" twist to be stabilized. Rumors of this bullet (started by your's truly) started several people asking the question of what twist will be required. This is the reason for me starting this thread. So those who are interested in trying this bullet can start working on getting barrels. By the time you'd be able to get one we should have this bullet available.

Regards,
Eric

Lutz Moller has bullets superior to that in .338, I think. But nothing to shoot them in. Can you discuss progressive twist rate and how much a longer barrel can make up for less twist?
Old 02-25-2012, 11:55 PM
Silver Member

Mule hunter,

These 270 caliber 170 grain and 195 grain 7mm EOL line of Berger bullets will be available as soon as they are released only on our extreme store. Go to Extreme Outer Limits TV | Hosted By Bob and Chris Beck | Your Long Range Authority and click on the long range store. You will find them there. We are anticipating them to be available by May. After we get ahead of the orders we will then decide who else will be distributing them.