Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics


Reply

Berger Hybrid Expansion Test @ 1180 yds

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #15  
Old 06-29-2010, 07:52 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: SW Montana
Posts: 4,255
Re: Berger Hybrid Expansion Test @ 1180 yds

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge View Post
Very similar to the picture above

The problem is the barrel is inclined so you don't know how far the bullet travels since it is at the bottom!

One problem with water is that it tends to peel jackets off more than game!
A boat tail bullet will almost always shed the jacket in water if you give it enough speed, actually most jacketed bullets will!

edge.
When set up in the field everything is leveled to the rifle to get as direct a hit as possible, I'll be doing some more testing soon and I'll bring the camera this time to get range picks.

The water is more aggressive, but some bullets do perform the same in the water as in game, it is not very predictable though. For example the 270 140 gr Berger ends up looking exactly the same at the end of a barrel of water as under the of side of an elk based on recovered jackets and a little lead. The 30 cal 210 Berger blows like a bomb in water but not with enough constancy on game to continue trying. So water sheds some clues but is not definitive. It does show us worst case close range blow up, which is a variable I like to know as well.
__________________
High Fence, Low Fence, Stuck in the Fence, if I can Tag it and Eat it, it's Hunting!
"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-29-2010, 08:21 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Townsend, Montana.
Posts: 7,623
Re: Berger Hybrid Expansion Test @ 1180 yds

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
. It does show us worst case close range blow up, which is a variable I like to know as well.
That is interesting you say this. I have way less concern at close range. Yes, I have heard the stories about bullets blowing up and the game running away. But growing up in the midwest and hunting the big timbers of southern Iowa and northern Missouri. I have taken my share of game close... VERY close. I have seen some aweful exits, but never seen a "bullet blow up and they runned off"

My concerns are getting some expansion at velocities in the 1800 fps range.

I truely feel we are getting an idea of " what the bullet might do" with these tests. I just dont feel we can reproduce the way a bullet will act in game. Simply way too many variables. Distance, velocity, angle of impact, no bone contact, some bone, alot of bone, meat then bone, meat, bone , vitals, more bone and more meat...ect. ect. Every shot is different, in fact I think it would be a real task to even try to get two exact hits to compare a bullet in an animal.

So, if I get some expansion from a bullet at lower, long range velocities, then I will be happy and spend my time practicing for bullet placement.

JMO
Jeff
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-29-2010, 08:41 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Townsend, Montana.
Posts: 7,623
Re: Berger Hybrid Expansion Test @ 1180 yds

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
The 30 cal 210 Berger blows like a bomb in water but not with enough constancy on game to continue trying.
If I read this correctly, we have way different views o the 210 VLD. I wont list the animals I have taken wih this bullet. Or even try to list the ones my son and friends have taken. But let me say, the bull in the lower left at 200 ~300 and the 210 berger did a great job. The 34" muley that Magnus has the story about at 974 yards. Just last fall in Wyoming, several antelope from 60 yards from a 30-387 Wby to 813 yards from a 300 win. I was either on the knife or close as we dressed and quarterd all these to get them on ice. I say don't give up on the 210 berger because you dont like what you seen when it hit water. I am such a fan of this bullet for all size game at distances up to 1200 yards, that I built a complete custom rifle just to shoot this bullet.

The heart of an Aoudad Ram at 200 ~300 yards with a 210 Berger




The rib cage inside of a 6x6 bull at 200~300 with a 210 Berger, I placed the first in the shoulder and he stood there, so I jacked in another. They landed 3" apart, both high shoulder hits. To me, this is a test of a bullet at close range. They both preformed exactly the same and this was after they both passed through the shoulder at pretty high velocity from a 30-378.



Real stuff here.

This is why I shoot Bergers, awesome accuracy and no tracking.

JMO
Jeff
__________________

Last edited by Broz; 06-29-2010 at 08:45 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-29-2010, 11:42 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: SW Montana
Posts: 4,255
Re: Berger Hybrid Expansion Test @ 1180 yds

The close range testing is just to get a feel for what happens, you get to see where the bullet starts shedding weight and you can see where the jackets seperate from the core. The main idea is to move out to 600 yrd and then to 1000yrds for mid and low velocity testing, I shot drops last weekend with my 270 WSM and 140 Bergers and it went great so the next time I get out I'll do long range testing.
So with resetable media (water) I should be able to shoot a group of bullets into it to see expantion and with the larger sample group it should also show reliabiltiy of expantion.

The 210 Berger is a little frustrating for me, we shot 4 or 5 mule deer does last year and with the typical behind the shoulder shot and not one opened, the second shot was put on the head or neck and then they opened big time. There are other who have had them zip through also, I don't know what makes the difference yet, we did not get it on elk last year. We have been working with the 185 Berger but the accuracy was better with the 210, I may buy another couple hundred and get them on a couple elk and try to get them on a long range deer or two, may also melpat trim them a touch.

I do love the Berger also, but I have had to do some tracking!
__________________
High Fence, Low Fence, Stuck in the Fence, if I can Tag it and Eat it, it's Hunting!
"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-29-2010, 12:49 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,654
Re: Berger Hybrid Expansion Test @ 1180 yds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
If I read this correctly, we have way different views o the 210 VLD. I wont list the animals I have taken wih this bullet. Or even try to list the ones my son and friends have taken. But let me say, the bull in the lower left at 200 ~300 and the 210 berger did a great job. The 34" muley that Magnus has the story about at 974 yards. Just last fall in Wyoming, several antelope from 60 yards from a 30-387 Wby to 813 yards from a 300 win. I was either on the knife or close as we dressed and quarterd all these to get them on ice. I say don't give up on the 210 berger because you dont like what you seen when it hit water. I am such a fan of this bullet for all size game at distances up to 1200 yards, that I built a complete custom rifle just to shoot this bullet.

The heart of an Aoudad Ram at 200 ~300 yards with a 210 Berger




The rib cage inside of a 6x6 bull at 200~300 with a 210 Berger, I placed the first in the shoulder and he stood there, so I jacked in another. They landed 3" apart, both high shoulder hits. To me, this is a test of a bullet at close range. They both preformed exactly the same and this was after they both passed through the shoulder at pretty high velocity from a 30-378.



Real stuff here.

This is why I shoot Bergers, awesome accuracy and no tracking.

JMO
Jeff
"Real stuff here"
That's what i'm interested in ! I will more than likely shoot some white tail very close probably bow range with the 210 berger this coming season out of a .300 RUM . I really don't understand all of the fuss concerning boolits that blow up ? Dead is dead right . I would rather have a boolit that blew up out to 125 yards and still expand out to say 1300 in my humble opinion this would be the perfect ALL around hunting boolit . I've shot way to many deer up close with the A-max out of my 300 RUM to say that the blow up boolits cause game to run off . from what i read folks view the 210 berger like they view the A -max and i will say that both are great hunting boolits.

Just my 2 cents that's all I can afford anyway

BigBuck
__________________
"Molon Labe"
IN DIXIE WE DON"T CALL 911 !
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-29-2010, 01:27 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Townsend, Montana.
Posts: 7,623
Re: Berger Hybrid Expansion Test @ 1180 yds

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
we shot 4 or 5 mule deer does last year and with the typical behind the shoulder shot and not one opened, the second shot was put on the head or neck and then they opened big time.
Wow, This makes no sence to me... I don't under stand the difference. You personally seen this on 5 deer and all results the same ? Were they all different ranges too?

Jeff
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 06-29-2010, 02:31 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: SW Montana
Posts: 4,255
Re: Berger Hybrid Expansion Test @ 1180 yds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Wow, This makes no sence to me... I don't under stand the difference. You personally seen this on 5 deer and all results the same ? Were they all different ranges too?

Jeff

The first one I didn't even set my rifle up, my dad was shooting and I was spotting, 235yrds. I was expecting the rug to just get pulled big time but not the case, you could hear them hit, sounded like and arrow going in not the big wack I was waiting for. She took 3 hits in the rib cage, it did kill her but checking her out we could find no holes. We had to get her skinned and pull the hide out to find the holes, the holes in the rib cage looked like you just slide a knife in and out. One broken rib but it wasn't blown.

The second one that I witness was the same except he sent one over and put it on bone, that made the wacking sound we're looking for. The others I wasn't hunting with him but I skin and cut them all and they all looked alike, all at similar ranges and with similar hits. I think that we are in a zone that sucks, if we were closer of maybe 600 yrds they may have worked, we were in a narrow range. I want to say we were running them 2860 fps, not really humping them out there. I didn't get pics of them either, I have a real good cell camera now so I'll have a back up.

My 270 WSM with 140 Berger look like you unleashed a tornado inside them, even elk. The 6mm the same thing, cleans there clock!

I think a couple other guys had them zip through also but it seem that most the function just like what your showing. I know two other guys that load the 185 and over the 210 because of this. The melpat on a 210 is .062 and the 185 is .068. I don't know I was bummed we didn't get it on elk, but this year is looking good for 30 cal Bergers on elk!
__________________
High Fence, Low Fence, Stuck in the Fence, if I can Tag it and Eat it, it's Hunting!
"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: Berger Hybrid Expansion Test @ 1180 yds
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Berger 7mm hybrid BC test elmerdeer Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics 11 08-27-2012 02:53 PM
TEST 1, Gen 2 Berger 300 gr Hybrid VLD Fiftydriver Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics 24 05-22-2011 02:31 PM
338 Berger Expansion and Penetration test on 925 yd. Antelope Jumpalot Long Range Hunting & Shooting 20 09-22-2010 05:50 PM
Impromptu Berger 300gr Hybrid Expansion test. royinidaho Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics 2 08-29-2010 09:47 AM
Berger 300 Hybrid - My 1st terminal performance test. royinidaho Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics 25 06-22-2010 11:51 PM

Current Poll
Are you on Facebook?
Yes - 46.64%
993 Votes
No - 18.98%
404 Votes
No, but I may join - 1.88%
40 Votes
No way, are you kidding? - 36.50%
777 Votes
Total Votes: 2,129
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC