Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Berger classic hunter VS VLD hunting can I reload them the same as each other

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2013, 02:26 AM
Silver Member

Berger classic hunter VS VLD hunting can I reload them the same as each other

quick question, I just got some Berger classic hunter but rally wanted the VLD hunting, is there a difference wen loading them??

I don't really want to send 100 rounds down the tube only to change to the vld..... or are the classic a better bullet!

would the setting depth be the same?
would they shoot the same at distance?

thanks
Old 07-08-2013, 04:32 AM
Gold Member

Re: Berger classic hunter VS VLD hunting can I reload them the same as each other

I would not consider them to be interchangeable. The advantage of the Classic Hunter is that it is not sensitive to seating depth like the VLD. When I loaded my .30 cal 185g Classic Hunters, I chose a seating depth and did a powder charge workup only. I found a VERY accurate load without testing for seating depth.

I would recommend loading your bullets to whatever seating depth you prefer and doing a powder charge workup (that normally takes me 25 rounds or less). You will then have to establish your zero and downrange adjustments. I would not expect your settings for a VLD to be the same because the velocity and bc are going to be different for the Classic Hunter.

Better bullet? That's hard to say. That depends mostly on how you load and what you are using the bullet for. Load development is easier. Depending on which bullets you are using, your bc may be lower with the Classic Hunter.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:19 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Berger classic hunter VS VLD hunting can I reload them the same as each other

I never could get Bergers to work for me in sporters or competition so I shoot a different pill. That being said a bullet is a bullet except!!!! Make sure the jackets, cores and the actual bearing surfaces are the same plus other differences. The short answer is not they are not.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:53 PM

It can also vary with caliber.
In 270, the 130 classic hunter has a better BC as well as the hybrid nose design. No downside in my opinion.
In 7mm, the classic hunter gives up a small amount in BC but gains the hybrid nose and should be more forgiving with reloading depth. It is also short enough to gain the use of the magazine compared to some of the longer heavier 7mm choices.