Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Berger Bullets vs TSX bullets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2006, 08:14 AM
Gold Member

Re: Berger Bullets vs TSX bullets

my vote for the bergers. i shot a deer at 575 yrds last year with the berger 168 out of a 300 rum, mv was 3650 . I hit it at the point of the shoulder and blew through the heart and exited the off side ribs with a 1.5 inch hole.

I have also shot deer with the 150 tsx at 150 yrds with a 300 win behind the shoulders. the deer ran 85 yrds with very lttle blood to track by. The deer had a caliber sized hole on the impact side and a caliber and half sized hole on the exit side. the bullet performed perfectly, however i require more expansion for deer.
Old 03-26-2006, 08:41 AM
Silver Member

I beleave some people like Barnes and some people like something different in a bullet. Myself I don't shoot barnes
because I don't like them.
Old 03-30-2006, 01:56 AM
Bronze Member

If I was shooting a deer at 50 yards, I would be a little concerned if I was using bergers. The jacket is real thin. The matchking is a heavier jacket and if I was using a match bullet that may be used for a close shot matchking would be my choice over berger.

There are also some custom bullets with Sierra jackets that perform real well.
Old 04-05-2008, 01:13 PM
Silver Member

Bergers VLD & Barnes TSX

Have just purchased Berger 30 cal 210gr and 190 grain, along with Barnes TSX
200Gr for use in my 308 Norma Magnum. My twist rate is 1 in 11, my barrel length is 24 inches. I have loaded the Barnes TSX with 70gr of IMR4831 using CCI 250 caps with a cart length of 2.594 with the bullet seated .050 off the lands. The Berger 210gr are loaded with 64.5gr of Alliant RE 22 with same cart length and the bullet seated .003 off the lands with CCI 250 caps. The Berger 190 VLD is loaded with 72.5GR of Alliant RE22 powder with the bullet seated .003 off the lands, cart length is 2.549. I will be going to the range today to develop these loads and I will be using a Gama Shooting Chrony to register MV. When I return I will publish my results for you folks.
I have a spring grizzly bear draw for area 7/39 in B.C. Canada, 15APR08 to 15June08. Would like to use the Berger 210 gr but since they are a target match bullet and not a died in the wool hunting round I can not as of yet trust my life to them. After I have tried them out on non dangerous game I will have a see for myself opinion of them in regards to their possible performance on grizz. Will post Berger performance on deer when and if I get one later on when season opens.

Cheers&Tight Groups: The Eaglesnester
Old 04-05-2008, 04:18 PM
Gold Member

I've shot 4 animals with the bergers. 1 was at 600 yards 1 was at 20. Bang flop on both. In both cases the bullet penetrated all the way through. Walt went over and brought a bunch of magazine editors to New Zealand where they shot 35 animals for testing and at all ranges it was bang flop. Excellent target bullet and great hunting bullet. B.c. is way higher thatn barnes plus no fouling.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:50 PM
Gold Member

Now, my experience isn't in with the .30 cal, I've shot both in my .257 Wby Mag. I have a great load with the 100 gr. TSX bullet, and it's worked extremely well on whitetails (4 shot between 50 and 167 Yds) and one Corsican Ram (shot at < 20 yds). All were pass thru's except one. The Corsican was stiff on the ground before all the hair that was cut by the bullets' passing floated to the ground. The furthest that a deer went was a 120# doe that was shot at the neck/chest juncton as she faced me. The top of the heart was missing but she still ran about 20 Yds. I looked and looked, but couldn't find the bullet - no exit wound.

I still haven't found a load with the VLD's that the gun likes. I have another box of them ordered and will try again working up a load. I really like the better bc of them vs. the TSX. I'm starting to prepare for a Wy. Muley and Antelope hunt this year and the TSX runs out of energy @ 500 Yds (mv 3320 fps). If I can get the VLD's to shoot, they will give me another couple hundred yards before they run out of steam.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:53 AM

+1 for Berger

I have always shot Factory Barnes X 180 gr. out of one of my 300 Wby Mags. They have always been a sub-MOA load right out of the box... for me. the Barnes X is a Great Coues Deer bullet IMO... wasting very little meat even if hit more than once. We have also taken many elk with this same factory load. My concern with the X (or similar bullets) is that in elk, we found that even a solid shoulder shot would exit the other side at the size of a dime or less. And a shot that hit "slightly" off the mark made for a real grid search to recover the animal.... no blood, no sign.... I am still a fan of this bullet for Coues because of the clean and solid knock down.

However, I switched to the VLD 168 gr. last year in my LR rifle and we ground checked 2 bulls with it. Both one shot kills (385 & 450 yds.) and neither bullet exited the other side. One bull dropped at the shot the other took about 6 steps.... and both shots were not in the "12 ring" , but rather just off the mark, because two 13 yr.old girls were doing the shooting.:eek: Also we had no more wasted meat on these 2 bulls than I have had in the past on Solid shoulder shots with a Barnes X.

BTW.... plan on boning out an elk w/o gutting it if you plan to use the VLD....;)... They turn the insides into a Protien shake!:eek:

I have a new favorite Elk bullet and can not wait to try it on Coues and Speed Goats next!;)

CnS