Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Berger Bullets vs TSX bullets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2006, 03:30 PM

Berger Bullets vs TSX bullets

Does anyone have any on game experience with the Berger VLD bullets compared to the TSX bullets in the .30 Cal.
Old 03-23-2006, 08:50 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Berger Bullets vs TSX bullets

The Berger bullets are made with a thin jacket and softer lead than hunting bullets , I have shot deer with them and had good results they expand like the A-max and the ballistic tips. So me guys have said that the just penciled through with no expansion butI haven't seen that yet. I use a meplat uniformer to make the tips a little bigger to ensure expansion
The Barnes bullet are solid copper and they do expand but no where near as fast as most other hunting bullets.
ifyour gonna be shooting smaller game like deer and down then the Berger bullets should work well but plan to loose some meat
Old 03-23-2006, 09:19 PM
Silver Member

I called Berger the other day and ask that same question! I ask why do they just make match bullets why not make a hunting bullet. His(a sales person not Mr. Berger) reply was that this fall they are going to market the VLD as a hunting bullet, but only the VLD. Seems a few hunters (I know John Burns uses the Vld to hunt elk with) called Berger to tell them the success they had been having with there VLD on game animals. Berger than started testing them, and come to find out they are good hunting bullets. They will be marketed side by side with the VLD's, but they are the same exact bullet. Moe
Old 03-23-2006, 09:29 PM
SPONSOR

The tsx is a solid copper hollow point, greatweight retention but I have heard that unless bone or dense tissue is hit the bullet may have expasion issues.

The berger is primarily a match bullet but many people have had good results with it on game. I think, may not be right, that all bergers are built in the J4 jacket which is a great match jacket. Only prob here is that the jacket is very thin and you may have over expansion issues. GoodGrouper used the bergers on a antelope this last year with good results, but then again that is a fairly thin skinned animal.

I shot some original barnes bullets into a sand and gravel bank, 300RUM with 165gr bullet. The bullet opened up decently and retained 90% weight. I was impressed but our deer have napkins for hides so I think without a bone hit the bullet would fly right through.

FOr a good mix of both worlds try some accubonds or the Wildcat line of bullets. They open up good but still retain enough weight to provide good penetration.

If you are after thin game go with the bergers, i bet they wont let ya down

take it easy
steve
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST
Old 03-23-2006, 09:41 PM
Bronze Member

Lerch, the barnes will drop'em faster that you can imagine.
Bone or no bone. Problem is getting them to group.

I always thought that barnes shot like crap, but the TXS I've heard are better than the old barnes.

If you get them to group well then shoot'em.
Old 03-24-2006, 07:00 AM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
The tsx is a solid copper hollow point, greatweight retention but I have heard that unless bone or dense tissue is hit the bullet may have expasion issues.
steve

[/ QUOTE ]

The original X had that problem not the TXS> In fact the TXS will expand in one inch of ballistic gelitan.This was determined by placing a thin sheet of aluminum behind the 1" block of gelitan to measure the size of the expansion in fact they open sooner than most lead core bullets.
Old 03-24-2006, 08:31 AM
SPONSOR

Maybe they have fixed their problems but I have still heard MANY mixed review on them. I still like the poly tipped bullets or the wildcat line because they are bullets built by a hunter for other hunters.

I have also heard of a lot of people having eratic pressure issues with the Barnes line

good luck
steve
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST