Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Berger Bullets Tech Data List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2010, 09:27 PM
Silver Member

Re: Berger Bullets Tech Data List

Brian,
Thanks for sharing the data, it helps to overcome some of the "black art" when there is real information available. But I do have a question about the suggested twist rates. What velocity are those based on? Isn't the real factor for stability RPM? As the velocity increases the required twist rate would decrease in order to meet the RPM for stability.

The reason I am asking is that I would like to shoot heavier bullets out of my 22-250 but it only has a 1:12" twist and most of the 22 caliber bullets that I would be interested in require 1:8" but I would guess that this is based on the slower but more popular 223 REM. I'm just trying to figure how heavy of a bullet I should be able to stabilize in my 22-250.

Thanks for any input you can share.

Rick
Old 02-25-2010, 09:58 PM
SPONSOR

Rick,

The recommended twist rates are based on the slowest speeds the bullets are likely to be fired at. However, increasing muzzle velocity has less of an effect on stability than is commonly thought.

It's true that RPM's increase 1:1 with muzzle velocity, but stability does not. The reason is because the higher velocity bullet has more overturning torque applied to it's nose because it's flying faster (higher speed = higher drag and overturning torque[/i].

If you send me an email (bryan.litz@bergerbullets.com) I can send you a stability calculator. You can play around with muzzle velocity and the other variables to see how much they affect stability.

Take care,
-Bryan

Author of: Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting
And: Accuracy and Precision for Long Range Shooting

Old 03-29-2010, 09:23 PM
Silver Member

Thanks Len for the info, just when i'm looking for load info on .223 i find this info and Thank You Brain and Berger Bullets you are not only a fine Ballistician but a general all around Man
Old 10-04-2011, 12:08 AM

Relatively new to reloading, looking for suggestions on my charge. I am shooting a 7mm mag, Berger 168 gr. VLD Hunting bullet, with H1000 powder. Thanks Fellas
Old 11-01-2011, 09:52 PM
Bronze Member

Does anyone know if Berger Bullets has developed load data and has published the data like Barnes, Hornady, Nosler, Sierra and Speer have?
Old 11-01-2011, 10:37 PM
SPONSOR

Steyr,

You can get data now by sending an email to Walt Berger at bergerltd@aol.com. List the cartridge you are loading including the bullet and powder if you've selected one already.

We are in the editing process for our manual as well. I can't promise when the manual will be ready but we are in the final stages.

Regards,
Eric

Berger Bullets
Old 11-11-2011, 02:01 PM

I have found the excel document very helpful in the past and have just started a new 30 cal build. I was ready to order a the chamber reamer when the new Hybrid line was introduced. Does anyone know if the same info is available for these bullets? and also if there is a plan to offer them as a hunting bullet?

Regards,
Darrin.

Last edited by DazzH; 11-11-2011 at 02:05 PM.