Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

View Poll Results: I prefer Berger Bullets pack size of:
50 per pack 161 12.11%
100 per pack 1,169 87.89%
Voters: 1330. You may not vote on this poll

Berger Bullets needs your advice - please help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2011, 05:57 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Berger Bullets needs your advice - please help

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBruce View Post
Eric,

This is just a guess, because I am not a member of any other forum; but I think most of us that hunt long range or shoot long range while hunting also practice alot, or shoot off season alot......perhaps that is the difference from the "one or two box a year" hunter, which I believe most hunters coast to coast fall into that catagory.

If I were a betting man, I'd suspect that some other forums would give different results, possibly more requests for small packaging.?

Regardless, Thanks for your interest in our opinions and continueing to produce a great product.

I'll just add my voice to this. I was somewhat surprised when I saw the "50 count" on a LR hunting site. People should be shooting a lot more than that!

I guess I'm a minority here, but I buy my bullets in 1000-4000 at a time (like many Norwegians do, we have some 150000 competition shooters with the 6,5x55).

I have 6000 Hornady Amax left, bought bulk. I use this bullet for everything (competition, LR shooting, deer culling). I'm expecting to stock up so I have at least 10000 bullets lying around. Bullets are expandables, the supply always run out and they are always more expensive when I resupply.

I'd like to try the Berger as I expect it to do the same as the Hornady. But here the Berger cost 2.3x the Lapua/Norma bullets and almost 3x the Hornady bullet, so it's not an option.

Link to my shooting and hunting films
http://www.youtube.com/user/sierra645?feature=mhee
Old 08-28-2011, 08:55 AM
Silver Member

Most of the time I'd rather buy the 100 count box but it would be nice to have a 50 count available to try another weight on occasion. If the cost is the same then the 50 count gives us more options. We can always order twice the number of 50 count to save on shipping.

Gordon
Old 08-28-2011, 12:12 PM
Silver Member

100 for me too
Old 08-28-2011, 12:56 PM
Platinum Member

I'd rather have them in boxes of 50 regardless of how many I wanted. I'd even pay more to get them that way. This isn't exactly a new concept. Ever buy a box of 22 ammo that had 10 boxes of 50 in it? A lot of stuff you use daily is purchased in multiples of small containers.

Last edited by Edd; 08-28-2011 at 01:08 PM.
Old 08-28-2011, 01:07 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browninglover1 View Post
What I would love to see are Berger trial packs where you could buy 20 bullets so you could try out 4 or 5 bullet weights to see how your gun likes them before you jump into buying a full box. I know that would have helped me when I was trying to find the bullet my gun would shoot best.
I've thought a few times a sampler would be good. Then I realized it would have to have at least 50 of each bullet to give them a fair chance, especially varmint bullets because my varmint rifles need to be more accurate than my deer rifles - I shoot tiny ground hogs at longer distances than I shoot the relatively much larger deer. That's a lot of bullets, and once one works "good enough", a lot of extra bullets, especially for flat shooting varmint rifles because barrel life is frequently the most expensive per shot cost compnent. I tend to buy a rifle to shoot a particular bullet weight and type at specific game. I stop experimenting when I get the first bullet to work.

I don't need a lot of bullets for my deer rifles. So when I buy bullets for my deer rifles, I buy a box of 100 and know that is a several year supply including load development. I seldom need more than 40 rounds to have a useful (1 MOA or less cold bore 3 shot groups) PA deer load for a bullet in either my 7mmMAG or .30-06. I seldom go through more than 9 rounds in a hunting season. 2 fouling shots, 3 cold bore cold zero shots at the range to verify the scope and get reacquainted with the rifle, 4 shots at deer if I am lucky, less if I'm not. My scopes appear to hold their zero for years, so I don't use ammo adjusting them.

When I buy bullets for my varmint rifles on the other hand, I tend to buy at least 200 bullets knowing that is probably a 3 year supply including load development. I shoot 30 to 40 ground hogs in a typical year plus 3 fouling shots before the first hunting trip and 3 more following a typical mid season bore cleaning. If I buy varmint bullets locally I tend to buy less at a time than if I buy online for shipping/handling cost reasons. If I was a PD hunter I'd probably buy bullets in boxes of 500 or more. As it is, 200 or 250 count boxes work just fine.

When I find a good accurate bullet/load for a particular rifle and the game I hunt with it, I usually stop experimenting and just buy more of the same components.

Sometimes I have a hard time finding a bullet that works well in a rifle. My .17 Remington being a case in point. It doesn't like the V-Max bullets so I'm going to try the 25g Berger varmint bullet in that one next month.

Finally, on infrequent occasions I luck into another bullet that works significantly better with the same load than the one I developed it for. 34g DogTown working much better in my CZ Hornet (accuracy and terminal performance) than the 35g V-Max being one serendipitous example. A friend was going to pitch the bullets and gave them to me instead. I was barely satisfied with the 35g V-max in the Hornet, so tried the 34g DT, loved the accuracy and terminal performance, and immediately bought 200 more. Had a dozen or so one shot kills with them this spring out to 160 yards on young GH just venturing out of the nest.

Fitch
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." R. Feynman. (Last sentence of the Feynman appendix to the Space Shuttle Challenger Report.)

Last edited by Fitch; 08-28-2011 at 01:29 PM.
Old 08-28-2011, 01:47 PM
Silver Member

100 piece count. I ladder test 50 rounds and that leaves me another 50 to further dial it in.

AR's for coyotes
25-06 M70 for coyotes
6.5-06 Remington Custom w/Leupold Mark IV 6.5-20 tactical setup
AR10 for mule deer
6.5-06 M700 for mule deer
338 Lapua Mag M700 for elk
Old 08-29-2011, 04:20 AM
Bronze Member

i'd like to seee a 500 cnt choice for us high volume shoooters, i wish berger would offer them.
thx dug