Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

View Poll Results: I prefer Berger Bullets pack size of:
50 per pack 161 12.11%
100 per pack 1,169 87.89%
Voters: 1330. You may not vote on this poll

Berger Bullets needs your advice - please help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2011, 11:46 AM
Gold Member

Re: Berger Bullets needs your advice - please help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Stecker View Post
SBruce,

That is an excellent point. I believe that our bullets are also more popular among these shooters. Just another reason why it makes sense to add 500 count packs to the popular hunting bullets as well.

Regards,
Eric
Eric:
First of all I would like to thank you for even considering different options with such an open mind. You are to be complimented.

I live in Billings, Mt. and even though a number of retail outlets may handle your bullets I have NEVER been in any of the stores where I could pick up 5 boxes with the same lot number - so that forces me to always order them and pay the freight. Never even knew it was even an option to order direct from Berger.

I would jump all over buying a box of 500.

SBruce I think hit it right on the head - I may only kill 8-12 critters a year but I also shoot 600-800 bullets per year of the same cal. and grain - add in 2 sons that do the same and trying to keep things straight for a number of different rifles gets interesting at times.

The big thing with me is being able to get bullets in a timely manner - which in my mind is say 30 days or there about.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:47 AM
Silver Member

+1 for the popular hunting bullets in 500 count. and +2 goes to Eric for really wanting to make a great product better. I have not seen any other manufacture asked questions let alone really listen to their customers. Thanks again Eric and will be patiently waiting on the 500 count of the vld hunting bullets because i to try to shoot every chance i get for practice and i am not going to practice with one load and then hunt with another. I practice with my hunting load.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:12 PM
Bronze Member

100 bullets minimum is good, but I would also like the option and price breaks 250 and 500 packs provide especially for my varmint guns!!! And since I'm really anal about consistency, i would even pay more if I could get all of my bullets from one particular machine/die combination.

Kevin
Old 08-26-2011, 01:29 PM
SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6brxdude View Post
And since I'm really anal about consistency, i would even pay more if I could get all of my bullets from one particular machine/die combination.
I can assure you that every Berger made in a given lot is from one machine, one tooling set up and was made with raw materials from one lot. This is a standard requirement of our process. You won't have to pay extra to get this from every box of Berger (of the same lot).

I need to think about the amount of boxes available at the resellers situation. This is a tough one since the reseller doesn't want to buy more of something that doesn't sell but when they have only 1 or 2 boxes in their store they lose out on the sales of those who want 5 or more boxes from one lot.

We'll have to talk with our resellers about this some more. Berger has always sold direct to the shooter as an alternative. Admittedly, you will likely find these bullets to be cheaper from our resellers as we don't compete with them on price. However, I can assure you that if you want all your bullets to be from the same lot, we can do this if you order directly from us. (The other guys can too but we obviously have more inventory than anyone else.)

Regards,
Eric

Berger Bullets
Old 08-27-2011, 04:02 AM
Silver Member

Trial packs would be cool even if they cost a little more. I'd rather spend a little more per bullet for a few than be left with remnants of 100 ct boxes that I found didn't shoot well in my rifle. Once I find the "one" though, I'll buy in boxes of 500 if I know they are all going into the same hole.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:00 AM

100 bullet count for me please
Old 08-27-2011, 01:18 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Stecker View Post
To All,

Thank you very much for your feedback. Frankly, it is not turning out like I expected which makes me happy since we already put them in 100 count packs. This means we won't need to change to 50 packs.

I am learning more than I bargained for and have a few comments about some of the feedback made.

Several posts asked about small packs for testing (25 bullets or less). I'm not sure how much I am allowed to say but I can relay that you will see a solution to this particular request start showing up in gun shops across the US. We are excited about this effort and from the feedback on this thread I think many of you will be as well.

Others asked for 500 packs and there were questions about getting the same lot. To me these situations are related in that the goal is to get bullets that are the same.

Regarding boxes of 500 counts, I am really glad to see this feedback as we purposefully do not put hunting bullets into our quantity packs (we pack several popular target bullets in 500 and 1,000 count packs). The reason is because I didn't think hunters would ever need or buy that many bullets. I see now that I was wrong. It won't happen quickly but you can expect to see the popular hunting bullets becoming available in larger count boxes.

Regarding getting bullets of the same lot, we deliberately put the lot numbers of our bullets on the same side as all the other descriptive information so it is easy for the reseller to keep same lots together. We also put our bullets into sleeves of 5 boxes that are all of the same lot. If you buy the bullets directly from Berger we can make sure all the bullets are from the same lot. I can't speak for our many resellers but we have done everything we can to make it easy on them to keep same lots together and available.

Dave726,

I understand and appreciate your comments. One of the challenges we face is that if we add a trim and repoint step to our process the bullets will be more expensive. There is no way to avoid this reality.

Also, I've seen what it takes to trim and repoint. It is my opinion that this is a process best done deliberately and carefully. It is too easy to deform the bullet in a way that makes it shoot poorly. A shooter that is crafting each bullet can be careful to monitor pressures and appearance to ensure that everything is working properly.

Those who do this step in mass quantities are taking a big risk because the window between it being done right and wrong is very small. I think we do pretty good at making bullets properly and I don't believe we could do this as consistently as the individual shooter can so we don't.

Regards,
Eric
Eric- roger that. Then maybe they could be weight sorted so that all 100 are the same weight? even if that weight is 175.2 or whatever as long as they are all equal weight. This would increase your consistancy. Just a thought.

Dave