Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Berger bullets blowing up?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2011, 09:45 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Berger bullets blowing up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by teampete View Post
My question still doesnt have anything to do with shot placement. It has to do with bullet performance. I just wonder why that particular shot in the spine did nothing to the elk. I like berger bullets and want to use them. I just want to use the best possible bullet and am wondering what happened in this situation.
In my opinion you only connected with two bullets. The lower one that produced the spewing blood you told of in your story. And the second higher one that droped the bull by damaging the spine. I also feel it is very lucky for you, and the bull, that you were shooting Bergers. The fragments from those two shots placed to high are what damaged the vitals and expelled the animal. So in my mind you should be praising Bergers.

Please take a minute to review the list in my first post of elk I took or seen taken with Bergers this year. I am in no way affiliated with Berger, I just know how they work.

Also please note I didnt even mention the elk I tracked that was shot by another hunter not using Bergers. My gps tracked me 4.7 miles to where we dispatched the wounded animal. I wish that poorly placed bullet would have been a Berger and sent some fragments into his vitals, for both me and the poor bull that suffered for hours.

Jeff
Old 11-28-2011, 10:10 PM
Gold Member

What twist is your tube? I shot an old farm building at about 1600 yards with a 208gr Amax and it mushroomed the first 1/8 of the bullet and the polymer tip was gone. bullet passed through a 2X4, a piece of 1/4 inch siding traveled 10 feet hit a 8X8 support bounced off and landed 8 feet back. I'm pushing mine a tad under 2900 FPS in a 1/10 twist tube. The Berger I have shot at hard targets like old propane cylinders etc retain their weight at least the ones I dig out of the berm. This is at 300 yards.

Only thing I can think is the jacket coming off, or the bullet becoming un stable and tumbling into the animal.

"Let glorious acts more glorious acts inspire,
And catch from breast to breast the noble fire!
On valour's side the odds of combat lie,
The brave live glorious, or lamented die;" - Iliad, Book V
Old 11-28-2011, 10:21 PM
Silver Member

Actually there was another shot on the side of the elk closer to the neck that did a great job. So I hit the elk three times. I know the berger did a good job on the other shot but I still know the shot near the spine didnt break his back like I thought it would. I was hoping this was just a once in a million occurance. You are probably right that I was lucky for using bergers. But that is the main reason I chose bergers in the first part. I guess I will just give bergers another chance and see what happens. Im hoping it was just a "bad" bullet that caused the issue.

Joe - My barrel is a 1/10 twist.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:47 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teampete View Post
It doesnt matter wether my skills are sharp enough for a bullet to do its job. .
I know I am kind of picking this apart, but I have severe issues with this statement. Your skills are the single most important factor in determining whether to take the shot, then placing it where it belongs. I mean no offense, just my point of view.

Further, what weight of bullet were you shooting and in what caliber?
Old 11-28-2011, 11:04 PM
Silver Member

The Berger isn't the right bullet to break the spine. It's meant to be placed into the vital organs where it's rapid expansion causes massive damage. If you want a spine busting bullet shoot something much stouter like a Barnes TTSX or at least a good bonded bullet like an accubond.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:53 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varminator 911 View Post
The Berger isn't the right bullet to break the spine. It's meant to be placed into the vital organs where it's rapid expansion causes massive damage. If you want a spine busting bullet shoot something much stouter like a Barnes TTSX or at least a good bonded bullet like an accubond.
Or a good Ol Partition. Berger bullets are not for everyone including my self. Not enough fudge factor. But I have never shot an animal further than 400 yards either. I just like this site to hear how good everyone else is.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:11 PM
Platinum Member

I've cut three elk this year with that shot placement and your simple to high, the top shot no mater the bullet would not have dropped him except by luck of maybe tweeking the spine but odds are slim. The lower is still to high but you hitting dense meat and the bullet would start opening right be for impacting the spine and being a little high the bullet will tend to blow to the area of least resistance which is up. If you directly impact the center of the spine or lower they will remove a section of spine. Did you cut the animal or did someone else cut it, generally after you peal the hide and inspect you get the full story.

If shot placement was 6in -10in lower it would have trashed him, I see many of those kind of hits on elk and rarely to they do anything more than blow the top of the spine of and the elk keep trucking, sometimes it will shut down their back end and you can get another on in, bullet does not matter, I've seen accubonds and TSX do the same thing at that point. At the point you hit I can put my 8in breaking knife all the way to the hilt and it will just make the spine on a bull, you need to hold lower on bulls to impact the spine directly!!!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"