Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Berger Bullets 6.5mm (264 Diameter) 140 Grain

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2012, 12:20 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Berger Bullets 6.5mm (264 Diameter) 140 Grain

Anyone have a release date for the 6.5 hunting hybrid?

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...4-build-83765/ - Build Thread

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...-284-a-124876/ - Gun Pictures
Old 07-03-2012, 06:08 PM
Silver Member

Hey guys,

I will jump in and let you know my knowledge with the hybrid designed bullets to help clear up any questions.

The technical side of a VLD versus the new hybrid it has to do with the bullet’s ogives and how the bullet engages the riflings. On Berger's VLD bullet design, the ogive is secant and has an abrupt angle change when it meets the shank of the bullet. On the new Hybrid design, Berger has created what they call a "Hybrid ogive". This combines the strengths of a tangent and secant ogive without suffering either of the weaknesses. The hybrid ogive is tangent to the bearing surface where it contacts the riflings. This aids in the bullet self aligning with the center of bore and making it less sensitive to seating depth. Ahead of the point where the riflings engrave the bearing surface, the bullet transitions into a secant ogive to maximize drag reduction and have a much higher Ballistic Coefficient.

The term hybrid has nothing to do with the jacket thickness or how it will perform on game. We have a combined effort of over 100 kills just this year alone with the hybrid designed bullets to test its worth in the field. I feel so strongly about this design that it will be the same hybrid design that the new EOL/ Berger Extreme Heavy Hybrid line is built around. Our first two bullets to be introduced are the 170 grain .277 cal, and the 195 grain 7mm that are due to release real soon. As for the 6.5 hybrids, look for them by August/September.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:56 PM
Silver Member

When I emailed Berger to ask about the 7mm 180 grn. Hybrid, Eric said that they had a thicker jacket then the VLD. Not sure about the other Hybrids. I have been using the Gen 1 338 Hybrids on a few antelope, muleys and Elk and they performed awesome.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:11 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Beck View Post
Hey guys,

I will jump in and let you know my knowledge with the hybrid designed bullets to help clear up any questions.

The technical side of a VLD versus the new hybrid it has to do with the bulletís ogives and how the bullet engages the riflings. On Berger's VLD bullet design, the ogive is secant and has an abrupt angle change when it meets the shank of the bullet. On the new Hybrid design, Berger has created what they call a "Hybrid ogive". This combines the strengths of a tangent and secant ogive without suffering either of the weaknesses. The hybrid ogive is tangent to the bearing surface where it contacts the riflings. This aids in the bullet self aligning with the center of bore and making it less sensitive to seating depth. Ahead of the point where the riflings engrave the bearing surface, the bullet transitions into a secant ogive to maximize drag reduction and have a much higher Ballistic Coefficient.

The term hybrid has nothing to do with the jacket thickness or how it will perform on game. We have a combined effort of over 100 kills just this year alone with the hybrid designed bullets to test its worth in the field. I feel so strongly about this design that it will be the same hybrid design that the new EOL/ Berger Extreme Heavy Hybrid line is built around. Our first two bullets to be introduced are the 170 grain .277 cal, and the 195 grain 7mm that are due to release real soon. As for the 6.5 hybrids, look for them by August/September.
Mr. Beck,

Do you think the BC's will be the same as the Target Hybrid?

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...4-build-83765/ - Build Thread

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...-284-a-124876/ - Gun Pictures
Old 07-04-2012, 12:21 AM
Silver Member

Jumpalot,

The current hybrid bullets do have thicker jackets then the VLD's. The current being target, and tactical hybrids. However the new hunting hybrid bullets that are coming soon will be have the same jacket thickness as the VLD's.

CO shooter,

Yes, as far as I know the new hunting hybrids will have the same B.C. As the current target line.