Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics


Reply

berger?

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #8  
Old 04-02-2010, 10:32 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Townsend, Montana.
Posts: 7,737
Re: berger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
I'm surprised! I wouldn't count on that every time though. I've seen them really come apart with little penetration. At any rate, good shooting and nice bull......Rich
Thanks Rich! Thankfully I have never had an issue. He was completely broadside at the top of a steep ridge. I wanted him down where he stood, not back to the bottom. So I took a center shoulder and he stood there for a few seconds and I gave him another. The bullets were 3" apart in the shoulder. Both made it through the far shoulder but did not exit. Both lungs were complete jello. He stumbled trying to turn and went down. The first one had him dead, but I was not taking a chance. As I said I wanted him down.

Through the shoulder and both hit ribs.




Far side where they both stopped after penetrating the second shoulder.



I did loose more meat than I like. But I find that consistant with most bullets placed like this. The good new is he was down and dead with no tracking or chance of a lost animal.

Jeff
__________________

Last edited by Broz; 04-02-2010 at 10:37 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-02-2010, 11:08 AM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 38
Re: berger?

i've shot coyotes as close as 70 yards with a .260 130 hunting vld and it didn't come out. It is the loudest pop i've ever heard from an impact shot. not even that much blood at that range.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-02-2010, 12:26 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Northern Id.
Posts: 3,314
Re: berger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Thanks Rich! Thankfully I have never had an issue. He was completely broadside at the top of a steep ridge. I wanted him down where he stood, not back to the bottom. So I took a center shoulder and he stood there for a few seconds and I gave him another. The bullets were 3" apart in the shoulder. Both made it through the far shoulder but did not exit. Both lungs were complete jello. He stumbled trying to turn and went down. The first one had him dead, but I was not taking a chance. As I said I wanted him down.

Through the shoulder and both hit ribs.




Far side where they both stopped after penetrating the second shoulder.



I did loose more meat than I like. But I find that consistant with most bullets placed like this. The good new is he was down and dead with no tracking or chance of a lost animal.

Jeff
I'm sure THAT elk couldn't argue the effectiveness!
I plan on doing some bullet testing soon and will TRY to post the results on this site. Stay tuned......Rich
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-02-2010, 05:22 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Townsend, Montana.
Posts: 7,737
Re: berger?

I really have come to believe that even the slightest change in bullet placement can have a huge effect on how any bullet preforms. Anymore, I choose the bullet that shoots the best in my rifle and I strive for better placement. A bad well placed bullet will preform much better than a good bullet poorly placed. So I go fo accuracy at all ranges, and most of the time it's a Berger.

Jeff
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-02-2010, 05:40 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Alaska
Posts: 3,344
Re: berger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
I plan on doing some bullet testing soon and will TRY to post the results on this site. Stay tuned......Rich
We'll be eagerly awaiting your findings.

Below is a thread which describes my one experience with Berger 210 VLD performance at very close range ~25 feet. But hey - the bear was killed quickly with that finishing shot...


Berger 210 VLD on Black Bear - Field Report

Since this incident, I have used the the 284 & 308 VLDs with very satisfactory on-game performance at longer ranges.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-02-2010, 08:16 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Northern Id.
Posts: 3,314
Re: berger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
I really have come to believe that even the slightest change in bullet placement can have a huge effect on how any bullet preforms. Anymore, I choose the bullet that shoots the best in my rifle and I strive for better placement. A bad well placed bullet will preform much better than a good bullet poorly placed. So I go fo accuracy at all ranges, and most of the time it's a Berger.

Jeff
Amen to that!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-05-2010, 10:29 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Oregon
Posts: 369
Re: berger?

I shot two bucks and a doe last year (a whitetail, a blacktail, & a doe antelope) with a 168gr from my 7mm Rem Mag at 3065fps.

The blacktail was broadside at 65 yards. It was about a 175lb buck and I hit it high in the shoulder (probably a little too high) . The buck dropped in it's tracks flopped around a little and was drt by the time I walked up to it. After inspection of the would channel, I found the jacket hung up on the near side shoulder (weighed about 79grs). The remainder of the bullet pushed thru breaking the near side shoulder blade and fraging the top of the lungs and a little bit of the spine. I was a little disapointed in penetration but it was still a quick kill.

The whitetail I shot at 25 yards quartering to me. The bullet broke the near side shoulder and made jello of the lungs. The jacket was resting under the skin on the off side behind the shoulder. I can honestly say he was dead before he hit the ground. I've never seen anything go down so hard and fast.

The doe antelope I shot at 30 yards broadside behind the shoulder. She dropped in her tracks too. Bullet blew clean through breaking ribs on the way out. I've also taken a small black bear and an Antelope buck, both 200 yards with a 210gr in my 300RUM. They also dropped in their tracks.

I believe the VLD's are great for anything up to Elk size game, especially if you don't like tracking! Hope the info helps.

Doug
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: berger?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pushing Berger 7mm Berger 168s or 180s?? royinidaho Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics 29 10-29-2012 04:29 PM
Berger VLD vs Berger Match Hunting VLD SWALI Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics 34 08-30-2012 06:06 PM
Video interview of Walt Berger and Eric Stecker of Berger Bullets Len Backus Videos Of Tech Stuff And Reviews 6 02-18-2012 11:22 AM
300 smk,or 300 berger, or 300 berger hybred .for edge build ? timmyatnop Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics 6 05-12-2011 04:09 PM
210 Berger vs 208 A-MAX MontanaRifleman Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics 6 07-07-2009 10:54 AM

Current Poll
Do you watch outdoor shows live or by recording them?
Always recorded - 13.30%
110 Votes
Mostly recorded - 24.18%
200 Votes
Sometimes recorded - 14.51%
120 Votes
Rarely or never recorded - 48.00%
397 Votes
Total Votes: 827
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC