Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Berger 300 Hybrid - My 1st terminal performance test.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2010, 03:33 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Berger 300 Hybrid - My 1st terminal performance test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliveralan View Post
great right up and testing.

A few questions:
What cartridge did you use and what muzzle velocity?
338 rum - 2700 mv
what are 160gr iwks? - idaho wolf killer - :d those your mutilated 150 b-tips? yep

did you find any lead fragments? Of what size/weight? no lead frags discovered as of yet.
Old 06-20-2010, 04:43 PM
Gold Member

Idaho wolf killer, I like it!

Ok I'd be curious about the lead drags, idealy they would be 00 buck shot sized and spread out through the vital zone. I have shot animals with bergers but sifting through meat for drags is more complicated than dirt. I'm thinking a small metal detector would be a good investment...
Old 06-21-2010, 12:31 PM
Platinum Member

Updated media details.

Media was 80% for this shot.

Spent the morning developing methods to measure density.

It will now be much easier to maintain conditions much more constant from shot to shot.

80% of 100% is pretty light for this media. I'm impressed that the bullet acted so violently. 100% is fully saturated in water (100% water holding capacity with no drainage)

Numbers will get more accurate as the process continues.

Getting to be fun. Cold Barrel zero/drop check, velocity check and terminal performance all in one shot.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:41 PM
Platinum Member

The testing I have done in my water barrel contraption with 30 cal Bergers has shown that the lead in the Berger tends to look like small droplets of lead in a cloud of shrapnel right in the boiler room I have yet to collect Berger lead out of game because you kinda just pour it out and find the jacket!
I can't imagine what 300 gr of Berger going of like a bomb inside an elk will do, I think it will be a fairly rapid smack down!!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 06-21-2010, 10:52 PM
Platinum Member

Oliveralan,

I use a metal detector to find pieces of jacket. I've never located any lead other than that that remained in the base of the jacket. This is with any 270 cal Nosler, Hornady 140 BTSP .

The lead must evaporate???

Also, while looking at an uncropped pic of the bullet hole that the media holder is not sitting straight on the ISMH (Idaho Shooting Media Holder) (Saw Horse )

If I didn't neglect to set it on properly, and I believe I didn't, that shot moved the about 80#s back nearly 3 inches. I'll be more attentive from this point on.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post

ISMH (Idaho Shooting Media Holder) (Saw Horse )
Roy, your killing me

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 06-21-2010, 11:42 PM
Platinum Member

With your media testing device. I can see from the photo that the media is not under pressure buy the way that the lid opened up and the media spilt out the top. The quantity and quality of material is variable depending on conditions.

I think it would be better if the media was under some pressure.

Maybe a better device would be more square in shape with an open top.
Fill the box with media and place a neat fitting wooden plate on top of the media.

Then place 25kg to 100kg or so on top of the wooden plate depending on the size of the plate. The plate would press down on top of the media and supply a level of internal pressure. This could then be calculated in in/lb3, kg.m3 or whatever.

You could adjust the weight on top of the box until the desired internal pressure was obtained.

As the internal pressure can now be controlled, a more consistent comparison can be made between bullets.

Simply remove the weight and top wooden plate to access the material and retrieve the spent bullets. When you replace the lid and weight, conditions should be back to original and ready for the next test shot.

Just a thought.