Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Berger 300 Hybrid - My 1st terminal performance test.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2010, 11:36 PM
Platinum Member

Berger 300 Hybrid - My 1st terminal performance test.

It took awhile but I finally have a Terminal Performance Media Holder (TPMH) that will hold up to a beating. The 270 AM with 160 gr IWKs flat tore up my previous attempts.

A 338 projectile would have caused a major explosion with no chance of retrieving a bullet.

I set the Media Holder in front of the backstop and set up @ 300 yds which is right beside the garage.

Rather than shoot several I carefully selected a representative round from the 10 I have left of the original box of 50.

The shot was to serve two purposes, confirm 300 yd zero and check the terminal performance.

The media has been sitting idle for a month or so which means that it more dense the deeper you check. I wanted to put the bullet into the most dense area.

Soon I will have a method to measure media density other than by feel to ensure consistent test conditions.

I held half way between the red bull and bottom of the sticky target. 300 yd zero confirmed. (Mirage was running heavily to the left)

Results:

• Penetration was 21.5 inches. There was some violence happening inside the thing as I didn't have media in the rear 6" but it was full after the shot. (The only comparison I have so far is that the SMK penetrated 16" in the same media, different setup, and at 1K velocity.)
  • Penetration was straight.

• Media container is rock solid. Lid lifted a bit and spewed a bit of media.
  • The bullet could only have left one heck of a wound channel. I think the bullet functioned as intended for 'my' needs at least.
  • Another comparison with the SMK is that it usually maintains its entire jacket and the remains cannot be bent with my fingers at all. The Hybrid's jacket seems much softer as I can bend the remains with a severe amount of pain in the fingers but no blood and the jacket isn't all there.

This shot shows me that the concept is correct.
Improvements will include:
  • Media density was 80% for my set up. Spent some time developing methods to determine density of the media (Lb/FT^3).
  • Figure out how to simulate penetrating a rib upon bullet entrance. Any suggestions would be appreciated. (I'll check the local butcher Monday)
When that stuff is worked out, I can then start @ 300 then move out to 1K. I know I can hit the thing @ 700 but beyond that the shots will be included in drop chart confirmation.

Last edited by royinidaho; 06-21-2010 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Updated details
Old 06-20-2010, 12:05 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Berger 300 Hybrid - My 1st terminal performance test.

Cool pics Roy. Sounds like you got good penetration. I always enjoy reading about personal testing of bullets.
I always get nervous when I see jacket/core seperation tho. Guess its a personal preferance thing.
As for the Ribs, Bear season and bow season is in August. Maybe you could salvage a few. Hey maybe you could design a media holder out of deer hyde too.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 06-20-2010, 08:35 AM
Platinum Member

shooting through ribs may be a little hard to hit in testing conditions.... could shooting through 1" oak plank or 1.5" oak plank do the trick too??
Old 06-20-2010, 09:37 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winmag View Post
I always get nervous when I see jacket/core seperation tho. Guess its a personal preferance thing.
I feel that this is a feature instead of a bug. (Software talk) The partition and some bonded type bullets do the typical mushroom thing which effectively enlarges their frontal area and more often than not give complete penetration. Thus breaking bones and/or leaving a good blood trail.

Who want's a good blood trail? DRT is much better. I'm suggesting that performance of this Berger offering may well be much better that the mushrooming type for a consistently quicker kill when shooting for vitals allowing a larger target than if purposefully going for a broken shoulder. But as I read and watch, the Bergers appear to do quite well with the high shoulder shot which is a much smaller target.

Britz,

Nah, hitting a single rib is not a problem! Yeah, right!

I'm gonna check with the butcher and see what they do with shoulder blades. Maybe they are available. I have purchased boxes of bones for the dogs at a good price.

Last edited by royinidaho; 06-20-2010 at 09:41 AM.
Old 06-20-2010, 12:32 PM
Platinum Member

Nice writeup Roy. I enjoyed reading about your test. The pics are appreciated and made it alot easier to envision results. Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-20-2010, 01:23 PM
Platinum Member

I was hoping for another huge cull hog! But this is good too.

First I've seen on terminal testing of this new Berger bullet. Thanks for sharing. Be checking in for any additional, future photos.
Old 06-20-2010, 02:33 PM
Gold Member

Great right up and testing.

A few questions:
What cartridge did you use and what muzzle velocity?
What are 160gr IWKs? Those your mutilated 150 B-tips?
Did you find any lead fragments? Of what size/weight?