It took awhile but I finally have a Terminal Performance Media Holder (TPMH) that will hold up to a beating. The 270 AM with 160 gr IWKs flat tore up my previous attempts.
A 338 projectile would have caused a major explosion with no chance of retrieving a bullet.
I set the Media Holder in front of the backstop and set up @ 300 yds which is right beside the garage.
Rather than shoot several I carefully selected a representative round from the 10 I have left of the original box of 50.
The shot was to serve two purposes, confirm 300 yd zero and check the terminal performance.
The media has been sitting idle for a month or so which means that it more dense the deeper you check. I wanted to put the bullet into the most dense area.
Soon I will have a method to measure media density other than by feel to ensure consistent test conditions.
I held half way between the red bull and bottom of the sticky target. 300 yd zero confirmed. (Mirage was running heavily to the left)
- Penetration was 21.5 inches. There was some violence happening inside the thing as I didn't have media in the rear 6" but it was full after the shot. (The only comparison I have so far is that the SMK penetrated 16" in the same media, different setup, and at 1K velocity.)
- Penetration was straight.
- Media container is rock solid. Lid lifted a bit and spewed a bit of media.
- The bullet could only have left one heck of a wound channel. I think the bullet functioned as intended for 'my' needs at least.
- Another comparison with the SMK is that it usually maintains its entire jacket and the remains cannot be bent with my fingers at all. The Hybrid's jacket seems much softer as I can bend the remains with a severe amount of pain in the fingers but no blood and the jacket isn't all there.
This shot shows me that the concept is correct.
Improvements will include:
- Media density was 80% for my set up. Spent some time developing methods to determine density of the media (Lb/FT^3).
- Figure out how to simulate penetrating a rib upon bullet entrance. Any suggestions would be appreciated. (I'll check the local butcher Monday)
When that stuff is worked out, I can then start @ 300 then move out to 1K. I know I can hit the thing @ 700 but beyond that the shots will be included in drop chart confirmation.