Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Berger 300 Hybrid - 3rd Shot -OH! MY!! GOSH!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2010, 10:35 PM
Platinum Member

Berger 300 Hybrid - 3rd Shot -OH! MY!! GOSH!!!

Had to rebuild the "fixture" prior to the 3rd shot.

The latest revision resulted in a fixture with much more flexibility.

New features:
  • Plastic front end replaced with rubber belting to simulate a thick skin (Hereford bull
  • Rubber belting front would take many hits without leaking media.
  • No weight added to the top to maintain density.
  • Front made removable for shooting through skin only or replaced with plastic for shooting through bone.
The idea was to introduce less rigidity allowing impact to be absorbed with out further damaging the fixture. That piece of irrigation pipe was hard to come by.

The Bull Hide Front

Front End

Side View Showing Bungies

Next post - The results.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:48 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Berger 300 Hybrid - 3rd Shot -OH! MY!! GOSH!!!

Damn Roy you oughta sell them babies...it's a work of art. Only kidding. If it gets the job done that's good enough.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:13 PM
Silver Member

Hot Dang!! That looks like it should work. I can imagine that pipe is hard to come by. You should see what they want for it down at the local plumbing store. Can't wait to see what happens when you shoot it.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:15 PM
Platinum Member

I walked to the backstop to check my success with the recent up grade.

Again @ 300 yds and no bone as I felt it unfair to shoot through bone and the rubber belting. Seems it should be the other way around.

Here's What I Found!!!

Holy Crap - Check This

Note the piece in front of the cover is over by the blue barrel!!

Wound Channel Profile.

What am I supposed to do with this?

Bullet pics and info coming next.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:16 PM
Silver Member

Nice!!!

Last edited by theodore; 06-24-2010 at 11:19 PM.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:27 PM
Platinum Member

That is something else... Is that pipe known to be particularly brittle? ...but at 200psi rating... and with a built in pressure relief 'valve' on top. Hard to believe, but there it is. Wow.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 06-24-2010, 11:30 PM
Platinum Member

Bullet penetration was 23.5" and straight inline with the bullet's flight path.

I found the jacket in the center of the media at the "I" on psi.

That's the end of 300 yd stuff. Nothing will stand up to the violent behavior of this bullet.

Yep, that sure was a purdy fixture. I guess purdy doesn't cut it!

I think that Eric and the folks at Berger have a bullet that fits the Berger performance characteristics nearly perfectly. To do this with a new bullet design would seem one of the company's great accomplishments.

I think it may well be a decent idea to head to Jeff's with the (new) fixture and media and move the test waaaay out there. I'm having a rough time finding the distance. Plus, it sure looks like Jeff can hit it.

PS: The third pic from the top. Those aren't rifling engravings showing on the boat tail. Must be a shadow or something. The base and boat tail portion of the jacket are perfect.

Oh BTW all three of these cold bore shots have centered on the 300 yd zero POA in a group that is scary small.

Last edited by royinidaho; 06-24-2010 at 11:48 PM.