Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Berger 300 Hybrid - 2nd Shot -Terminal Performance Test.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2010, 08:57 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Berger 300 Hybrid - 2nd Shot -Terminal Performance Test.

Shoulder Blade Details

Bullet Entrance View

Entrance Path

Exit Side Damage

Exit

Exit W/Bone Fragment in Place

I'll let the pics speak for themselves. I could ramble on forever about this shot.

Geometry was lost extracting the first bullet fragment. I don't know "exactly" penetration of the large bone fragment was, but guestimate 6" .

When searching for bullet frags I kept coming across unknown particles and small pieces. I didn't catch on to what they were as they were dispersed throughout the media until I found the large piece of bone. Bone fragments!!

Bullet fragments, next post.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:14 AM
Platinum Member

Great thread and thanks for the work.

edge.

Be careful it looks like it just missed your finger
Old 06-23-2010, 09:36 AM
Platinum Member

Hey Roy, I think you could still clean up that shoulder blade and make soup or something out of it!

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 06-23-2010, 02:57 PM
Platinum Member

Dang Roy! Thats impressive.
So are you gonna clean up your ''media holder'' and swap it out for Kitchen counter support to get your sawhorse back now? How long till you have a new media holder? These posts are too cool to wait too long for more.
Darn impatient kids............

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 06-23-2010, 05:49 PM
Platinum Member

Excellent pics. Did you find any of the bullet ie jacket or pieces of it?
Old 06-23-2010, 10:19 PM
Platinum Member

I did a complete archeological type dig with the hand held metal detector.

The piece in the upper left is the piece that traveled 13.5" after clearing the bone.

The piece at center bottom I don't believe is from a Berger. Its a bit dull and may have been there since last year.

Also, I'm not confident that I got all of the pieces of the first shot removed.

Some of the lead may have been from previous shots.

I'm confident all metal has been removed.

Bullet Fragments

While rebuilding and upgrading the fixture I noticed the the other (big) end was cracked also. I wouldn't think that this fracture would have occurred as there was no media in the rear 6". When I initially opened the cover I noted that the media was evenly dispersed from front to rear.

Fractures occurred at square jagged corners. From now on its well rounded smooth corners.

For the Hybrids entering the media without any obstructions containment seems easy. However, in this instance, when bone is hit first this shot shows that most of the energy was expended within 13.5" after penetrating the bone.

Muzzle Velocity: 2700 FPS
Distance: 300 yds.

We'll see what tomorrow brings.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:34 PM
Platinum Member

Wow, Roy...thanks a bunch for doing all that and sharing with us! It is appreciated! Jon

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl