Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Berger 300 Hybrid - 2nd Shot -Terminal Performance Test.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2010, 11:45 PM
Platinum Member

Berger 300 Hybrid - 2nd Shot -Terminal Performance Test.

Well I followed the promptings of Topshot plus adjusted media density up to 90%

I talked the butcher out of a beef shoulder blade. I'm now on standing order for all of his shoulder blades.

My wife asked what it was for. I told her I was going to cook it for lunch. She just wondered off mumbling something about me always doing strange things. No kiddin'....

Set the media fixture on a new holder as the saw horse was being used for the kitchen counter top upgrade project.

Ready to shoot through the shoulder blade.

I placed the black dot where I figured I either hit the blade or if to the left a bit I'd hit the thicker ridge. Either spot would be good, I figured.

I couldn't see the dot from 300 yds due to the sun's position so I attempted to hold in the same place as I did for the first shot.

I knew I wouldn't spot the shot through the scope which cause me, in my youthful excitement, to doing a very bad job of breaking the trigger, then lifting my head like a prairie dog just in time to see the whole setup hit the ground.

The bullet hit was one of the loudest woooommmppps I've ever heard. Even through the ear muffs.

To say that there was damage to the fixture is an understatement. When I got to the back stop, I was shocked at what I found!!!

Holey Crap an explosion was set off inside the thing.

Besides being on the ground the front was blown out! Some how the plywood flange that holds the plastic front end was torn apart. WOW!!!!

When I opened the lid I was shocked again!!

The 1 5/8" thick cement step that was added (Topshot's idea) was just as you see it. Holy Crap!! What went on in there? When preping this pic for posting I was shocked one more time! I saw the crack in the fixture at the front of the lid. I hadn't noticed it while retrieving bullet fragments.

I went back out in the dark to check it. Sure enough the darn thing was pulled apart. Darn, that's 5/8" heavy duty plastic pipe rated at 200 psi. That portion of the fixture is a bit over 3" wide and was pulled apart.

You must have to hit bone to set off that stick of dynamite in those Bergers. I'm as impressed with this bullet as much or more than I was with those 25 cal 115s on the hog shoot.

Wait till you see the shoulder blade. But that's for posting tomorrow.

The largest piece of jacket penetrated 13.5" (center of the cinder step crack) after going through about 2" of the shoulder blade.

This gotta get on video. Way better than the weenies.

More tomorrow.

I'm tired and I want to go to bed.

My prayer tonight will go something like this. " Now I lay me down to sleep. I pray the Lord Berger Hybrids to keep". Like He wants to hear that kind of stuff.

Last edited by royinidaho; 06-22-2010 at 11:50 PM.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:17 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Berger 300 Hybrid - 2nd Shot -Terminal Performance Test.

I knew you had to shoot that shoulder blade tonight so I've been hitting "new posts" all evening waiting for it!!!

That's like a v-max for elk, holy cow man your rig is thrashed! All to a good cause though How long a fuse did you use to get that chambered and shot before it went of?

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 06-23-2010, 12:22 AM
Platinum Member

Wow...

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 06-23-2010, 04:11 AM
Platinum Member

Can't wait to see the shoulder blade.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:36 AM
Gold Member

That's probably the most devestation I have ever seen from a single bullet... Can't wait to hear the first results of that thing vs elk.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:47 AM
Bronze Member

WOW!! Awesome bullet. Looking forward to seeing the shoulder blade.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:37 AM
Platinum Member

Great work Roy. Thank You! Does test 3 include 1000 yards?

Jeff