Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Berger 185 VLD short range performance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2006, 10:28 PM
Gold Member

Berger 185 VLD short range performance

Well,got my 300 SAUM Sendero back from APS in time for deer season this fall,but wouldnt you know it,my wife drew the only buck tag this year. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] So earlier this month I took the gun to the range and worked up a load for the .30 Berger VLD based on sewwhats recommendation.Ended up with 61gr H4350 @ ave. of 2946 fps. with the VLD just kissing the lands.I was surprised that after my fifth shot I was running an extreme spread of 6 fps and an sd of 2. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]Of course that opened up,and after 44 shots the es was 30 with an sd of 13,still pretty good and I believe it says more for the match barrel than it does my reloads.Funny thing is I havent found a bullet in the 168-210 gr range that the gun doesnt like.
Anyway,at the range I finished up putting my 100 yd zero 3" high.Of course this was 2 weeks prior to taking the wife hunting and my memory isnt what it used to be.....did I forget to mention that I plumb forgot to tell my wife where the rifle was zeroed?
The wife and I were on our way to an opening that would allow about a 300 yd shot max.,I figured this would be a perfect setup for her.Well, we never quite made it to that field.On the way, a doe trotted out in front of us just over 100 yds away with a little 4x5 glued to her rump and completely oblivious to his surrounding world.Before I could say a word I heard the safety click off and just had time to plug my ears. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] The buck dropped just like all four of his legs had just been shattered.Upon inspection I couldnt find the entrance hole,but the exit was pretty obvious.After gutting the deer,it was obvious why the deer dropped the way it had.Ummm,that 3" zero I forgot to mention,well that in combination with my wife shooting offhand resulted in a perfect spine shot.Funny how things just seem to work out for women [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 11-30-2006, 11:53 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Berger 185 VLD short range performance

Congrats to your wife. Looks like the Berger did its job beautifully. Pretty good expansion..
Old 12-01-2006, 12:58 AM
Silver Member

Good Shooting; you can't drop em' much quicker than that. What weight bullet were you using?

Dave
Old 12-01-2006, 06:41 AM
Platinum Member

You must be living right, because if your wife had missed high you would have been in big trouble.

I am inclined to believe that a good chamber and a good barrel makes load development a piece of cake.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:56 AM
Gold Member

Thanks guys.I wasnt sure how the Berger would perform at that close of range.
Im still in trouble BB,after taking that buck,I think my wife is claiming emminant domain on the Sendero. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Oh well,ive got two guns to have built this coming year based on Bordens new actions so I guess the Sendero is a worthwhile sacrifice. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-01-2006, 11:40 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Glad the rifle worked out for you. 30 cal rounds of this capacity just seem to have a special combination of powder capaicty to bore volume ratio and they can get some very consistant loads.

There are benefits to getting good barrels, most often that is the ability to shoot most bullets very well!!

Congrats and thanks for the report, tell your wife contrats on a fine buck and shot as well.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 12-01-2006, 09:23 PM
Platinum Member

i agree with B-Bob. a gun that shoots everything is simply a testament to good components, but more so to another great assembly from "Mr. Smith"