Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Berger 168 VLD results on an Elk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2009, 08:05 AM
Silver Member

Berger 168 VLD results on an Elk

I hope this is the right forum...

I took a friend of mine out Monday morning and got him a raghorn bull. He shot it with a 7mm SAUM that we have pushing the 168 VLD's at about 3025 fps. He made a nice shot at just over 400 yards behind the left shoulder. The bull hunched over a bit, looked around then trotted off about 200 yards and stopped. He shot again at about 515 yards this time and got him above the shoulder. He stumbled a bit, ran about another 200 yards and was finally down for the count. When we got the horses to him, we were suprised to see he was still alive but not going anywhere so we finished him off with a 45 ACP behind the ear.

Upon dressing him out, the first shot made a very small wound channel until hitting the shoulder blade on the opposite side. There we found a lot of small bullet and bone fragments. The other passed clean though the lungs with a 1/2" exit hole.

This is my first experience with Berger VLD's on an elk. These same loads worked great on the antelope he shot this year but I am kind of disappointed with their performance on this elk. I am sure he would have died eventually from the first shot but I am not sure how far he would have gone. Maybe he would have tipped over when he stopped after being hit the first time.

Is 400 yards too far for the 168 Berger at 3000 fps to get it to expand? The bullet should have been going just over 2500 fps at that range. Is this typical performance for these bullets? I am thinking we should try some 160 Accubonds next year since I've had such good luck with them out of a 270 and 300 WM.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:22 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Berger 168 VLD results on an Elk

Yikes...I just switched to 210 Bergers from 240 SMK's. Hope I made the right decision...

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 10-29-2009, 11:25 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks for posting.

We need lots of data points from actual experiences to learn more as time goes on.

Musta missed ribs altogether???

I have no explanation but thanks for the info.

Is that saum have a left hand twist? Maybe that would explain it.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:19 PM
Platinum Member

It is not an elk bullet! I don't care what the TV shows say. They have slick editing and good marketing trying to sell a product. I have experience and no biases. Yes, there will be a lot of elk taken with them and some saying how great they are. But then many will find out the hard way when they lose there elk. Get an elk bullet to hunt elk. High BC is not the only factor to consider.
Old 10-29-2009, 01:37 PM
Platinum Member

That sucks man, I'm going to ease into using them and have a good load with a Accubond stuck in it just in case.
I've seen 7mm cals do that with several bullets, one of the reasons I don't pack one.
My dad shot some 210 Bergers out of a 300WBY at 200 yds into antifreeze jugs with water and there was no doubt about it opening up, went through the first jug ( 3.5 in) then it blew up through 3-4 jugs, no elk would have walked away from a hit like that.
The Best of the West guys seem to favor shooting through bone, that may have something to do with how they open up behind the shoulder.
All I've managed to shoot with Bergers out of my 270WSM is a couple coyotes and they will not open up at close range, at 500 one opened up but not much but I really wasn't expecting a coyote to open them up.
Old 10-29-2009, 01:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Time Long Ranger View Post
It is not an elk bullet! I don't care what the TV shows say. They have slick editing and good marketing trying to sell a product. I have experience and no biases. Yes, there will be a lot of elk taken with them and some saying how great they are. But then many will find out the hard way when they lose there elk. Get an elk bullet to hunt elk. High BC is not the only factor to consider.

LTLR,

Don't tease us... Tell us your experience with Bergers. We're trying to learn here. What bullet do you use after your recent experience with the 225AM, I'm wondering?

Thanks,

Jon

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 10-29-2009, 03:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmden View Post
LTLR,

with the 225AM, I'm wondering?
225 AM???? Where'd that come from?