Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

berger 168 vld hunting bullets.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2013, 11:12 AM
Platinum Member

re: berger 168 vld hunting bullets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom2live View Post
Yes I recovered buck, I stood were I shot and followed the tracks in snow for roughly 90 yds. I thought I missed seriously, I didn't see blood I knew there was no way I missed, because I sighted rifle 30 minutes early.... it was 1 degree and snowing bad , 425pm. I looked under a pin tree and and there he was. At first I saw tiny entry and no exit. In barn I look and found small 1/4 hole exit no blood dripping from it. These bullets are grouping 1/4 @ 200yds. I aimed double lung and thats were the bullet hit.. truely very very disappointed with vld hunting berger 168gr
What condition was the lungs in when you gutted it.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"

Old 11-26-2013, 11:52 AM
Silver Member

If you are just shooting whitetail, take a look at the 162 amax. Great bc and the bland flop your looking for.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:54 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
What condition was the lungs in when you gutted it.
That's what I was wondering. 90yrds on a double lung hit isn't unreasonable, I've seen deer go a lot farther than that while pouring out enough blood to have you thinking "how in the h*&1 is this thing still going?" One Doe I shot years ago ran 50yrds with a lung hanging out of the exit wound, and she to 3 good hits to the chest at close range.

Just because you don't get a bang flop the first time you try something doesn't mean it's bad. If you repeatedly have critter after critter run off from a particular bullet and good solid hits then yea I'd try something else. On the same note if you find a combo that consistently puts em down fast I wouldn't screw with that either. I've ran into both ^.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 11-26-2013, 12:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
This is just a comment so take it for what it's worth.

I have hunted over 50 years and used every bullet known to man. I have had bullets fail and sometimes for no apparent reason.

I am always amazed when a bullet fails to perform after shooting game for decades without a single failure. "**** Happens".

Some of the bullets that have failed Have been given a second chance and have not let me down
again. Others have been unpredictable and if it happens 10% of the time I simply stop using them.

A good example was the Nosler Partition, I have had perfect results on game where velocities were high and lesser bullets would have came apart at impact. many animals later, with confidence, I was using a 30/378 for elk and when I got my shot, the bull looked at me like nothing happened. Stunned I reloaded the rifle and fired the second shot.He did it again. surprised would be an under statement.

I though to myself, I just plain missed. I set the rifle down because I did not want to make a poor shot, thinking something was surely wrong. The bull just kept looking at me, then his head rolled over his back and down he went.

I was dumbfounded, But excited and relieved that I hadn't messed up. after examining the shot placement, I found two holes less than 1/2'' apart going in and coming out. I had missed any of the
ribs going and coming (What are the odds) both bullets traveled straight through without expanding
at all. Velocity at POI was over 3300 ft/sec.

The point is, bullets fail sometimes and you have to make a choice whether you want to give them another chance or not.

I will say this though: If you don't have confidence in you equipment don't use it. It just leads to more problems.

There are a few bullets that I wont use any more because they failed more than once so I gave up on them. The tried a true partition is not one of them just because of one failure that may not have been it's fault.

I think it was just bad luck and would not give up on a good bullet, Try it again and if it fails to perform like you want it to, find another bullet.

It is Ok to be disappointed in the performance of your equipment. Just learn from it .

Good luck on your next hunt !!

J E CUSTOM

Thank a for your honest input, I appreciate it. This was the first time hunting with vlds. I shoot competition F Class and there awesome. I head out to Zimbabwe 4 times out of the year mainly 375 H&H, I have shot alot of game. For smaller game I adore 270 win factory 150 round nose classic. I ll take your advice and move onto another bullet. Good thing I only bought them for 7mm. I am glad also this didnt happy on my next ram hunt in Alaska. .

Thanks everyone for your positive replied, expect seamen. Who things I give a edited word here

Last edited by Len Backus; 11-26-2013 at 06:52 PM.
Old 11-26-2013, 02:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho Sawyer View Post
If you are just shooting whitetail, take a look at the 162 amax. Great bc and the bland flop your looking for.
Definitely
Old 11-26-2013, 04:26 PM
Gold Member

This antelope was shot with a Berger and still managed to run close to 100 yards before tipping over. The hunter who gutted the animal stated there wasn't much left with the insides.....and the animal still ran off.

The point being, animals sometimes take more time to expire than what we would want or expect. Previous posts have already made this argument and I agree 100%. If you're not comfortable with your selection, don't use it. But please be aware animals may not hit the dirt like we would want them to, then blame the bullet for not seeing the results as you might expect.

I would never have expected this antelope to make it as far as it did....but it did..... and by no fault of the bullet.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMERSS View Post

This antelope was shot with a Berger and still managed to run close to 100 yards before tipping over. The hunter who gutted the animal stated there wasn't much left with the insides.....and the animal still ran off.

The point being, animals sometimes take more time to expire than what we would want or expect. Previous posts have already made this argument and I agree 100%. If you're not comfortable with your selection, don't use it. But please be aware animals may not hit the dirt like we would want them to, then blame the bullet for not seeing the results as you might expect.

I would never have expected this antelope to make it as far as it did....but it did..... and by no fault of the bullet.

I admire that hole, but mine buck had in -out pencil hole.. what cal were you using and what yards