Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Bent recoil lug

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-28-2008, 11:39 PM
Silver Member

I dont have a rockwell tester available to me.
As far as the savage goes the factory lug is about .187 i want to say and you can only go so thick because of the nut tennon configuration on a stock barrel. If you had less tennon in the action it would change the headspace but because it has a nut you can go to a thicker lug as long as your nut will back off enough for the additional thickness. Im not wild about the savage because of the lack of material around the port area of the action to support a heavy barrel. If i go to a heavy barrel on this action i will be floating it and adding a barrel block.

Unread 07-01-2008, 02:11 PM
Bronze Member
The Savages will support a heavy barrel just fine. Never had any trouble with the recoil lugs from SSS, had several bent from factory though.
Unread 07-07-2008, 07:15 PM
Silver Member
Bent Lug

Well I finally got off my butt and pulled the scope and front ring so i could break the barrel loose. Here is a pic of the bent lug. I did not quite get down low enough to really see how bent it is. As it turn out i can easily go to a .300 lug on this barrel and still have the edge of the nut meet right at the step on the barrel shank.

hopefully the pic works.
In advance, sorry so big. lol
Unread 07-07-2008, 09:06 PM
Silver Member
robbor looking at the picture it looks like the lug was bent before the lug was installed on the rifle. I don't believe there is anyway possible it could have bent where it is bent from firing the rifle unless the barrel nut was loose. If the nut was tight then that area of the lug would have been supported by the nut and the receiver and it would have bent in the lower portion of the lug. Kind of like clamping something in a vise; you can beat on the exposed portion and bend the crap out of it, but the portion that is clamped the vise will remain straight. I believe that it was bent in the stamping process, either way its still bent. I'm glad you showed us the picture, this is the first bent lug I have ever seen.

Unread 07-07-2008, 09:22 PM
Silver Member
That lug was bent before it was installed, theres no way the recoil could do that in that particular spot, the lug was supported by the action and the shoulder on the barrel. There should have been no room for any movement.
Unread 07-07-2008, 09:35 PM
Silver Member

The lug was not loose, as this was the first time i touched the nut on this rifle.
I have a pretty good eye and dont recall this before but Ive put almost no round through
this rifle. Looking at the lug the middle of the bend is in the bottom 1/3 or less of the hole
to me if it was from being stamped it would be centered across the hole or wavy around the edge. Anyways i wish savage had email so i could send them the pic. The stock this action is going into was bedded so removed the bedding and need to rebed with a good lug.

On a side note, when new, I fired a few primed pieces of fed brass and the primer popped out passed flush on these cases, way out probably over .020. I though that possibly the headspace was off. I asked over on 6mmbr and was told this was normal, no biggie. So I checked the head space when broke the barrel loose fired brass vs fully sized brass and it ended up right where it was supposed to be about .003-4. I never had pressure signs so i didnt worry. I will reduce this down to about .002 when i get my new lug.
Sorry got to go dinners ready
Unread 07-07-2008, 09:45 PM
Platinum Member
Originally Posted by robbor View Post
Anyways i wish savage had email so i could send them the pic.
Here you go, I stripped this from another thread.

How's this: if you get to a point where you need help or are frustrated with the service received, contact me directly. I have posted my contact information on other forums and offer my assistance to anyone that needs it. I answer all e-mails within 24 hours and if you don't get a response, I never received it (sometimes our firewall strips them out as spam). If you forward a phone number, I'll call you. Is that fair enough?

Joe DeGrande

Director Of Customer Service

Savage Arms, Inc.

413-568-7001 ext 4139