Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Bench shooting technique question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2012, 06:28 PM
Silver Member

Bench shooting technique question

There was a time, years ago, when I could shoot sub MOA groups from almost any old sandbag from the top of my car, etc.

Now, I have a shooting house with solid bench (still using home made sand bags) and don't seem to be able to get it together :(

When I dry fire from my bench position, I can see the cross hair move on almost every shot; usually goes up and right---sometimes just up a bit. Not surprisingly, my groups reflect what I see when dry firing.

Do you guys use a real front rest (mechanical) with a rear bag or one of the Bull Bags (one piece that holds the rifle in position or what?? I have not tried a bi-pod and don't really want to add the weight and bulk to the rifle but would consider it for testing.

I know that some of the bench rest shooters use the free recoil technique but I don't think that will work for hunting rifles with recoil. I also know that the rifle should line up on target with no "corrective" pressure from the shooter, but I'm having real difficulty getting this to happen. That may be my biggest problem.........

What equipment and technique do YOU use?

Thanks,
Jim
Old 05-05-2012, 06:50 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Bench shooting technique question

Yea, been there, done that. I have a Caldwell. Rock BR front rest, and two different rabbit ear rear bags that i have had for so long that the brand is worn off.I was having the same problem intil I got the rest. My groups instantly improved, and I was actually able to learn what loads shoot, and which one didn"t. At least I can rule out movement at the rest. Now the rest that I have is not the best in the business, but I have no problems with it at all. Get a rest, you will be better off in the long run.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:35 PM
Silver Member

When using the Caldwell rest with something like the STW, do you use the free recoil method? Is the recoil pad in contact with your shoulder?

Thanks,
Jim
Old 05-06-2012, 06:28 PM
Platinum Member

Did you develop loads on your sandbags?
Old 05-07-2012, 08:36 AM
Silver Member

My intent is to develop loads for a couple of new rifles. Can't do it until I can get repeatable data (group size).

A five round group with two or three rounds touching and two or three from 1 to 1.5 inches out ain't gonna get it :(

Jim
Old 05-07-2012, 06:05 PM
Platinum Member

Jim it seems like you realize that you should use the best rest you can get, and/or same as used in the field, to reduce problems related from the 'noise'.
I wondered if you had developed off specific bags already, because doing so -and then changing bags, changes results.
A bench rest is nice because it enables precision and repeatability in your shooting. At least that much is improved right there.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:18 PM
Silver Member

Yeah---I know that changing technique can change the whole program. A bench zero probably won't be the same as a tight sling zero or an offhand zero. That's not my problem -----I just need to be able to shoot "honest" groups by some means

I talked with a benchrest shooter/rifle builder/hunter today about his hunting rifle bench testing technique and learned a couple of things that will be helpful to me. He uses a front rest and a rear bag (bunny bag) and uses a firm grip on the forearm (just behind the front rest) while pulling the stock firmly into his shoulder with the shooting hand.

We'll see what happens.........

Thanks for the comments
Jim