Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

belted mag resizing die

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2004, 06:20 AM
Silver Member

Re: belted mag resizing die

Holmes,
The problem comes after you reload a belted case 2 or 3 times. The pressure ring (just above the belt) fails to get reduced by ANY conventional resizing die, and it becomes too tight to chamber properly (sometimes impossible).

It doesn't matter if you full size, neck size or whatever. Your belted cases are never getting resized at the pressure ring, and eventually they will stick in your chamber. You don't have to try your handloads in another rifle to see this happen.

This can best be proven by measuring your case diameter at the pressure ring. Most shooters never measure this area, and they rarely count the "exact" number of times they've reloaded their cases. One day they will wind up at the range and find that their handloads won't chamber. I've seen many shooters that could barely close their bolt because of this.

The U.S. Secret Service was one of our first customers, and the Belted Magnum Collet Resizing Die is now used all over the world by more than 1,300 customers.

- Innovative
Old 11-03-2004, 08:44 AM
Silver Member

I never had a problem with belted mag reloading. I had no need for the die and probably wouldn't need the die today but I started loading for a friend that had several custom 300 wby's. The chambers on those particular guns appear to be at the very outside of saami spec and the let the brass expand to the point that when resized the bulge appeared. I bought the die and it works wonderfully. It paid for itself quickly because I salvaged hundreds of once fired wby brass worth about $1 ea. If you plan on reloading for the one belted mag you own you most likely will not need to spend the money. If you might someday own quite a few guns or swap brass with someone you may be very glad it's out there. It is definately a quality die and works great.
Old 11-04-2004, 03:22 PM
Silver Member

Kraky,
You might want to read the article that Craig Boddington just published in Guns & Ammo magazine. It's in the November issue, on page 33. He explained our Belted Magnum Collet Resizing Die very well. The only problem is that our R E A L phone number is 407-695-2685.

- Innovative
Old 11-21-2009, 06:14 PM

Dragging up a thread that is almost 5 years old.. What are folks thinking in regards to the Belted Magnum Collet Resing Die ? Been reloading the .338 for a little while with cases that are 3-4x fired. So far no worries. ?? What am I missing?

Thanks!