Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

To Bed or Not Bed the Recoil Lug in New McMillian Edge Stock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2013, 12:52 AM

Re: To Bed or Not Bed the Recoil Lug in New McMillian Edge Stock

I use Bartlein the most but Brux, Krieger, Obermeyer, and Broughton are some other good ones. Just about any of them would be far better than a factory barrel. Not just in accuracy but in how easy they are to clean because they're hand lapped and the finish in the bore is so smooth and slick that a factory barrel seems as rough as a cob in comparison.

My personal .300's are cut to 26" and I don't like to hunt with a brake so that's where I leave them.

Marc
Old 03-25-2013, 01:08 AM
Bronze Member

Marc,

The last call I made to Krieger a few weeks ago ended up with them telling me they were 5-6 months out on getting a barrel. What about the wait with Bartlein or the other companies you mentioned? What about Lilja or Shilen?

I'd consider a new barrel if I could get it done much sooner than that. Hunting season is approaching and I don't want to be sidelined if I'm waiting for a new barrel. I have another gun to use, but what fun would that be, lol?
Old 03-25-2013, 04:55 AM
Silver Member

Contact Greg Young at Southern Precision Rifles........

He has high quality barrels in stock...... McMillan stocks and other goodies....

BARRELS

I bought 4 barrels from him in the last 8 months and a McMillan stock, all were received within 7 days of payment.... and this is all the way to Alaska via USPS priority mail.................

Greg called me personally on several of those occasions and was very easy to talk to and I will be ordering several more barrels in the next few months

"In guns, particularly firearms, caliber or calibre is the approximate internal diameter of the barrel, or the diameter of the projectile it fires."
WIKIPEDIA

"Fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"
Sigmund Freud
Old 03-25-2013, 09:06 AM

Thats true Greg is a good guy and stocks many barrels. Bruno's shooters supply is also a good source for Kriegers. I've had customers buy from them and ship directly to me many times. With Bruno's you have to call since they do not update the website. All of the barrel makers are pushed out to long wait periods right now. If you buy one off of the shelf like that you might not be able to get the exact specs you want so prepare to be a little bit flexible on contour. If its long obviously it can be cut shorter since we have to cut off an inch anyway. Might be a good idea to look at the manufacturers contour pages to get an idea of which ones you'd be willing to use so you know before you call.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:24 AM
Bronze Member

So I bedded the action yesterday. It's a strange feeling taking a dremel and prepping the very expensive stock before the bedding job and then after to clean it up. It didn't turn out 100% perfect as the barrel still isn't centered and the bolt release rubs now on the trigger guard. I know what caused this issue and both of these are things I'm going to have to live with now.

However, the difference in the way the stock feels is incredible. Before it felt a little loose and hollow and held together with bolts. Now it feels like a solid welded or monolithically formed piece of equipment. Anxious to see how it shoots.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
To Bed or Not Bed the Recoil Lug in New McMillian Edge Stock-img_7957.jpg   To Bed or Not Bed the Recoil Lug in New McMillian Edge Stock-img_7969.jpg  

Old 04-07-2013, 03:17 PM
Bronze Member

I hit the range today for the first time since bedding it and the groups looks like they've tightened up a bit. To the point of being satisfactory and I don't think I'm going to do anything else to the gun. I shot a 7 shot group and pulled a couple of them.

I also wanted to see how the gun felt out to 200 yards and I ended up shooting a 1.47" group. Not bad for someone that shoots maybe 20-30 rounds a year and with a new gun. Most guys can do better but it's less than MOA and I'll take that for a hunting gun any day.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
To Bed or Not Bed the Recoil Lug in New McMillian Edge Stock-2013-04-07-11.57.24.jpg   To Bed or Not Bed the Recoil Lug in New McMillian Edge Stock-2013-04-07-11.56.14.jpg  

Old 04-07-2013, 04:23 PM
Gold Member

Don't know exactly what scope you have, but does it have a side focus or adjustable objective to correct parallax ? If it does not, then you should check very carefully if you are experiencing parallax at 100 yards, the distance most scopes are supposed to be "corrected" for. I have bought some pretty expensive scopes that did not have side focus or AO and amazingly enough, they had a huge parallax problem at 100 yards. If you put the rifle in the rest and get it aligned with the target and then, without touching it at all, move your eye in a circle around the eyepiece (up/down/left/right) and see if the position of the cross hair on the target appears to move. The Minnox scope I had (brand new) showed about 2 min of parallax at 100 yards when I did this.

If you have parallax issues you will never shoot good groups. It seems you have a good trigger, so that should not be the issue either. The final thing is comfort/alignment of your face/eye with the scope before taking the shot and having the butt of the rifle firmly in your shoulder. I find it is easy to have a lot of variance when shooting off a bench compared to shooting prone, since only a small part of your body weight is behind the gun when shooting off a bench. The ideal scope position is also different for prone shooting compared to off the bench.

Other than that it is just a matter of practice and avoiding flinch.