Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

To Bed or Not Bed the Recoil Lug in New McMillian Edge Stock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2013, 01:58 PM
Platinum Member

Re: To Bed or Not Bed the Recoil Lug in New McMillian Edge Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwht4x4 View Post
Thanks guys for the replies. As I mentioned and as the picture shows the only parts of the stock that can be bedded are the rear tang and the area around the recoil lug. The other areas of the stock under the receiver are either too low or just nothing there. Because of this there is no way to fully bed the receiver without adding additional material underneath it.
What I refer to as a "fully" bedded action is what Swamplord is showing in his pics. Maybe my terminology is wrong? The point being that all the action that is n contact with the stock is bedded vs just the lug and tang areas.

There are some good tutorials on youtube and at least one in the forum here.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 03-20-2013, 02:21 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks MR for the clarification.

Also feel free to post any links you know of to YouTube or here on LRH.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:36 PM
Bronze Member

One thing I just noticed is if I push on the barrel to try and center it in the stock it get's very close to being centered and then if I push it back it goes back to being off-centered too. Almost like something is not holding it tight enough and/or it's not being supported side to side.

I called McMillian and they said to sand a couple of specific spots in the stock to provide room for it to move toward center and then they said bedding the lug would help too with centering it and with overall accuracy. I think I'll try this and see what happens.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:28 PM
Silver Member

Regardless of what you may have heard, McMillan stocks are not "drop in" and shoot.... any gunsmith will tell you that, you will run into those that will require a bit more work, like the ones you and I have, but can be easily fixed by removing a bit of material and "fully" bedding..

Even the Bell and Carlson V block type of stocks perform better after skim bedding, forget their claims of drop in and shoot ,

You have in your hands one of the best made stocks, treat her as such and make her bed properly, she will never let you down.
then give her a cool pet name and you will be friends forever !

"In guns, particularly firearms, caliber or calibre is the approximate internal diameter of the barrel, or the diameter of the projectile it fires."
WIKIPEDIA

"Fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"
Sigmund Freud
Old 03-20-2013, 09:05 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
Joel, what advantage if any is the full bed vs the 2 point bed (recoil lug and tang)?
Not really sure there is an advantage, as long as they are both stress free.. The whole purpose of the bedding process is to create a "stress free environment" for the action to sit in the stock.
I don't pay any mind to the barrel channel when I bed stocks. I just make sure the barrel does not touch any part of the stock when I do the bedding. After I complete the bedding, I will open the barrel channel appropriately. Some guys will wrap the barrel in tape to center it in the channel, and that will work just fine.
I like to do a full bed on everything. it's just a bit more work, but I feel the results are worth the effort.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
To Bed or Not Bed the Recoil Lug in New McMillian Edge Stock-bedding.jpg  

To Bed or Not Bed the Recoil Lug in New McMillian Edge Stock-bryantbed.jpg  

To Bed or Not Bed the Recoil Lug in New McMillian Edge Stock-dsc_0294.jpg  

"Character is who you are when nobody is watching"
Old 03-20-2013, 09:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwht4x4 View Post
Thanks MR for the clarification.

Also feel free to post any links you know of to YouTube or here on LRH.
This video is in the Videos Of Tech Stuff And Reviews forum.

Range report after bedding the Remmington 700 SPS V

Here's another video tutorial by a member, Kiwi Nate

Bedding a Rifle With MatchGrade Bedding Compound

You can also google "youtube action bedding"

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 03-20-2013, 11:14 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamplord View Post
Regardless of what you may have heard, McMillan stocks are not "drop in" and shoot.... any gunsmith will tell you that, you will run into those that will require a bit more work, like the ones you and I have, but can be easily fixed by removing a bit of material and "fully" bedding..

Even the Bell and Carlson V block type of stocks perform better after skim bedding, forget their claims of drop in and shoot ,

You have in your hands one of the best made stocks, treat her as such and make her bed properly, she will never let you down.
then give her a cool pet name and you will be friends forever !
Funny thing what you mentioned. I contacted McMillian when I first got the stock and they clearly said to me that I may need to dremel out a little here or there to get it to fit, but likely not that much and I definitely wouldn't need a gunsmith. They also were very clear about not bedding it until I shoot it. They said 90% of the time they will shoot perfect unbedded and bedding will only wring out a tiny bit more of the accuracy, possibly. Another good buddy of mine too said to shoot it first before even doing anything to it.

Unfortunately I'm a bit of an OCD perfectionist and want a gun that can consistently shoot cloverleafs. I get the scope tomorrow and may have to take it to the range this weekend to see how it shoots unbedded and uncentere, but either way I still want the action/barrel to fit perfect in the stock and it will bug me to death until it does. I never follow the, " perfect is the enemy of good."

I'm tempted to do the bedding myself, but leery of tackling it due to the fact I need to center the barrel. Even though I've never bedded a rifle it doesn't scare me. What scares me is how to fix the dynamics behind what is causing the barrel to be off center without causing undue stress somewhere else during the process. Rhetorical question: If I sand a little here and there and then bed it and then put the screws back in and they bind a little in the pillars am I going to have an issue?