Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

BC 's effect on POI

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2004, 01:06 AM
Platinum Member

Re: BC \'s effect on POI

Winmag,
If that Barnes BC isn't inflated like most all of theirs are, by a long ways, (you are being forewarned here [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]) accuracy will still probably be a problem with their BT bullets. The FB bullets seem to do OK, but getting the boattails to shoot can very often be a real B&^ch!!

I would guess the XBT 140 to have a BC of about .450 if you're lucky! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] The A-Max, SMK and Lapua seem to be real close, sometimes a bit higher in the real world too... Barnes is not that way.
Old 01-31-2004, 06:39 AM
Platinum Member

It may be me but I have also found that Barnes is a little optimistic about the velocities that are published in their manual.
Inflated B/C's
Inflated velocity
Inflated ego [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

They do, however, penetrate like crazy. I have never recoverd a single X bullet from a whitetail. Probably should stop shooting those little critters with my 7STW and those big copper bullets. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

VH

[ 01-31-2004: Message edited by: Varmint Hunter ]
Old 01-31-2004, 01:31 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks for all the great input. I think I'll still try a box of them, I just won't get my hopes up.
Chris
Old 01-31-2004, 02:22 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Part of the reason the BC is inflated is that they are solid copper. They have a much differant specific gravity factor. It also takes a tighter than normal twist to get good stabilty out of em too becasue of this. If they were the length they are and jacketed lead, they would be the advertised BC and they would use a twist formula most of us use.

They do smoke coming out of the barrel though. Have had 2900 FPS out of a 26" 12 twist 308.

My answer to this is. The only reason is to make the 7 RM look good. There is no other reason.

Jeff.