Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

BC 's effect on POI

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2004, 03:56 PM
Platinum Member

BC \'s effect on POI

By mid Feb. I hope to have a new 6.5x284 in my hands. So I've been researching bullets, I think I've narrowed it down to four.

SMK 140 gr., BC of .535 (high end of range)
SMK 142 gr., BC of .595 (high end of range)
Lapua Scenar 139 gr., BC of .574
Barnes XLC or X 140 gr., BC of .522

What I'm wondering is, what would the difference in POI be at 1000 yds. Assuming they were all launched from the same gun at around 3000 fps? Is a BC difference of .073 between the 142 MK and the Barnes XLC really going to gain me that much?
Thanks for any input.
Chris
Old 01-30-2004, 04:17 PM
Platinum Member

Re: BC \'s effect on POI

In a word, YES. That's because the Barnes X bullet is gonna miss the target. LOL [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-30-2004, 04:20 PM
daveosok

Did you give Berger's a thought 140 grain BC of .627?
Old 01-30-2004, 06:08 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

The differance between .522 and .595 is about 20" of differance at 1k. Use the most accurate. Also BC's are not always what they say they are. I use some loads that the stated BC is higher than I am getting, other bullets are giving me more than the manufactures say I should. In a nut shell (and I agree w/VH on the barnes)use whatever your rifle likes. This is way more important than even 50" of differance.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 01-30-2004, 06:16 PM
Platinum Member

Varmint Hunter

ROTFLMAO... LOL... That's good.. I've also had "some" trouble with Barnes bullets in the past. The 168's in my 308 seem acceptable and they're a nice "Snurf" color.

WinMagMan

Select bullets based on accuracy as the first priority (the scope is adjustable to compensate for trajectory differences).

When two different bullets are sufficiently accurate (and adequate for the task) select the one with the higher BC. Why throw away any advantage??? The difference between a BC of .522 and .595 at 3000fps and 1000 yards is 8 inches (10% difference) less wind deflection (theoretical) and 20 inches (7% difference)less drop (scope can compensate to no real issue).

Good luck.
Old 01-30-2004, 06:23 PM
Platinum Member

Varmit H, Yea, I hear they are a little tough to get to shoot well, but the were the highest BC true hunting bullet I could find. Thought I might give them a try.

daveosok, I missed them but I'll definitly give them a look.

meichele, Thanks , that's the number I was looking for. I thought I'd try the Barnes if the difference wasn't to great, I can live with 2 MOA. Now if I can just get the darn things to shoot well.
Chris
Old 01-30-2004, 07:31 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

winmagman,

I always give barnes a try, I just have found only a few loads and usually only 1 load per rifle that will shoot em well.

I had a load for my old VSSF 308 that shot the XBT 165 at 2900 FPS. That was with out the coating. Oh and it was about a .5 MOA load. My weatherby didnt shoot any of them well and my current 788 and 700 308's each have ONE load they shoot well with the barnes. I get out of my 700 the 150 XBT/XLC 2900 and .6 MOA accuracy. Thats not that good but makes for a heck of a moose or elk load! They have great terminal performance, just ask the 1500# moose I killed at 100 paces. Oooops! he's dead! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] For the terminal performance, they are worth a shot or 2. No pun intended. The only problem is there are so many differant kinds and they are SO expensive it can get expensive trying to find the one that works for you. I have shot groups at 770 yards that were quite impressive with the 180 XBT.

[ 01-30-2004: Message edited by: meichele ]
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.