Originally Posted by BB28MX
I have two targets set up at this range, one at 605 and one at 685. The rocks I was shooting were at 605 with a 3.8 mil hold. The milk jug was at 685 and required a 4.9 mil hold. If I replace the published bc with the bc I have come up with those dopes match perfectly. I do plan to reshoot to verify and add some farther targets to get more data as well as remeasure my scopes MILs but at this time I don't feel I'm jumping the gun to replace the published bc. Especially since if I use the published bc (as I did at the range) I am consistently high. At the range I had a 5 degree down slope that equates to so little when I used my angle adjustment calculations that I can all but ignore that part. I know this gun shoots .5 moa or better so I am ruling that out. All I keep coming up with is the bc. Hope this clears a few things up and please let me know if I have over looked something or miscalculated. Thanks again guys
Sounds like you have it under control.
Like Jeff pointed out, incorrect MV is often the offender.
While you can manipulate almost any variable e.g. MV, BC, Scope height, or whatever to match your dope, when conditions change, you will be off again at longer distances if you didn't manipulate the correct variable.
Many times it comes down to a stacking issue where several small things are off by a little, but add up to a noticeable difference.