Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

which bbl mfg?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2008, 10:04 AM
Bronze Member

which bbl mfg?

I have decided to build a L/R hunting rifle in 7mm Mag.
I have a Rem 700 action in a Mc millan stock.
It is now a 7STW so the conversion should be easy enough.
What brand bbl will be the best? Hart, Schilen, Douglas, Rock, or others.
All help appreciated.

THANKS
Coach
Old 08-16-2008, 10:48 AM
Silver Member

Re: which bbl mfg?

I have use all the bbl's that you listed except the Rock. They were all great bbl's. You won't go wrong with any of them.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:57 PM
Platinum Member

That's like asking chevy or ford ?

There is no way to determine the best barrel ,myself i chose a broughton w/5-c rifling for my 280ai ,a douglas for my 22-250 -and just bought a rockcreek -and i don't think one will be better than the other.

Flip a coin b/c a guy shooting under field conditions will be happy w/the performance of most any popular rifle barrel these days.
Not going back w/ the 7 stw ?
Old 08-17-2008, 07:18 PM
Bronze Member

I use Krieger barrels. Over at 6mmbr.com they did a reader poll on who made the best 6mmbr barrel. 1577 total voters, 525 votes for Krieger. I have a Winchester M70 with a Krieger 28" MTU contour stainless barrel with 1 in 9" twist bedded in a H-S Precision tactical stock. It's a very good rifle. All my rebarrels will be Kriegers.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:38 PM
Silver Member

+1 for Krieger I love mine on my XP.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:20 PM
Platinum Member

This is just a personal decision, which I have not made, yet, but, I will steer away from Broughton simply for ethical reasons due to a bit if intel I've heard that seemed a bit shady. I have no idea if it is true, so this is my personal choice, but I believe it.

This is unfortunate b/c I have a Broughton bbl on a rifle that is a real shooter, but it was made by Greg Richards, the owner of Broughton barrels prior to North.

FWIW, I have had a few lengthy talks with a few smiths that have been doing this for almost as long as I've been alive and the short answer is it doesn't matter where you get the barrel. Either it will shoot or it won't. I've been in AZ and watched a few guys nail some fantasy groups with hunting rifles that sport Douglas bbls. at 500 meters.

I have had success with Lilja, Shilen, Hart, Broughton-Richards, PacNor. I have 3 Kriegers that will be at my doorstep Monday, tomorrow as well as 2 Obermeyers. I will be placing an order with Bartlein before 10am.

I spoke with a smith that has been to both Krieger and Bartlein facilities. He stated that he was most impressed with Bartlein's new CNC set up and the finish in the bore, even though there is no denying Krieger's reputation. This is a man who's been doing this for a lot of years and his new favorite barrels are from Bartlein. A top smith in PA who also makes actions only uses to barrel makers now: Hart and Bartlein.

I would bet money that if you went with Obermeyer, Krieger, Bartlein, Hart, Lilja, Broughton, or even PacNor, you would never know the difference. Just be sure to use a reputable smith who makes every rifle as though it is his own, and is the last one he'll ever shoot.

Last edited by Derek M.; 08-17-2008 at 11:24 PM.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:32 AM
Platinum Member

Old Coach:
Like everyone else that has replied, you probably would not go wrong with many of the custom rifle barrel companies out there. Personally, I went with Hart Rifle Barrels in New York (Hart Rifle Barrels). You can see pics of the rifle Jim Hart built for me and the shooting results here: http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...y-280-a-32771/