Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Basic Rem SPS 7RUM as LR rifle base?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2009, 08:33 AM
Platinum Member

Basic Rem SPS 7RUM as LR rifle base?

Remington 700 long actions are hard to come by down this way on the second hand market. I was thinking of getting a basic Rem SPS in 7mm RUM.

I could shoot it for a year or so "as is" then rip it apart and use it for a future project.

What do you think?

Has anyone got good accuracy from the basic Remington 700 SPS with chrome molly action in 7mm RUM?
Old 06-12-2009, 02:22 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Basic Rem SPS 7RUM as LR rifle base?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topshot View Post
Remington 700 long actions are hard to come by down this way on the second hand market. I was thinking of getting a basic Rem SPS in 7mm RUM.

I could shoot it for a year or so "as is" then rip it apart and use it for a future project.

What do you think?

Has anyone got good accuracy from the basic Remington 700 SPS with chrome molly action in 7mm RUM?

I have used a lot of SPS rifles as donor rifles and the actions are fine.

The barrels are some times very good and sometimes very bad. So you just have to shoot them
to find out.

But if you buy an SPS the first thing to do is toss the Tupperware stock, And buy a good
laminated or composite stock, One with a large enough fore end to go to a larger custom barrel
later if it will not shoot.

Do this before you try the rifle out because with the tupperware stock you can't evaluate
the barrels potential. With a good stock it will shoot better than with the factory piece of
crap. And if it doesent shoot well enough then you haven't lost anything buy buying a good
stock.

And you can sell the tupperware for 30 or $40.oo (It makes a good youth stock for the first
rifle because the kids wont be shooting very far and you don't have to worry about getting
a nice stock all scratched up).

J E CUSTOM
Old 06-12-2009, 05:46 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Basic Rem SPS 7RUM as LR rifle base?

Thanks "J E Custom",

Sounds like good advice. what stock would you recommend as a replacement stock?