Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Is Bartlein worth the wait?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 06:20 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Is Bartlein worth the wait?

I have a Bartlein 5r on one of my 30/375 S.I.'s. It is a very good shooting barrel. The Bartlein guys are relatively new and I think the owner previously worked for Krieger? They are up and comers and win a lot of matches. One good thing about Bartlein is that they will build anything you want including progressive twist. That said, I have used Lilja and Krieger which I feel are equally good........Rich
Old 12-07-2012, 06:47 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
..... The Bartlein guys are relatively new and I think the owner previously worked for Krieger? .......
One of the guys at Bartlein said there are 7 people at Bartlein who worked for Krieger.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
Most of the top barrel makers have a 12 week + waiting period and you just have to wait.

There are other good barrels that may be available with little or no wait. I have had excellent
results
with the Shillen Select Match barrels and you can get them from Brownells in less than 2
weeks if they are in stock in the caliber you want.

I use Lilja as My Primary barrel maker and have not found any barrel that will out perform
them but when someone wants a rifle quick I try to find in stock barrels that meet the select
match criteria and have been well pleased with them.

I however do not recomend buying any other grade of barrel for cost savings and speed of
delivery.

You get what you pay for.

J E CUSTOM
+1! I too am a big Lilja barrel fan.

Benchmark currently have 3-4 week wait ...

SHORT Lead time for Benchmark Barrels

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:58 PM
Silver Member

Sounds like you are building a hunting rifle not a bench rest gun. I have purchased from Bugholes as well, no problem. I have a Rock Creek on a 338 edge MTU contour, Krieger #4 on a 300wsm, and just bought a Lilja #3 for my 264 wm. I like them all and they all shoot good. I think if you can find one in stock from the major players and/or from a distributor you will be happy. All of these barrels shoot better than 1/2 MOA.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:05 AM
Silver Member

I personally have three Bartleins and two Kriegers on my rifles. All of them are excellent barrels. But I've heard nothing but positive reviews on Benchmark and will be trying out a rifle with one of these barrels very soon. I'm looking forward to it.

Geb