Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Is Bartlein worth the wait?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 06:14 AM
Silver Member

Is Bartlein worth the wait?

Looking to buy a barrel for a 300 WSM build. I was strongly considering Bartlein,but they project a 6 to 8 month wait. My rifle smith will be headed out fishing by then,lol. He's an old bench rest smith that only works on rifles through the winter. My second choice is Broughton. What makes Bartlein in such demand? If I can talk my smith into doing it in fishing season,is it worth the BS ?
Old 12-06-2012, 07:35 AM
Silver Member

Re: Is Bartlein worth the wait?

I've never had one, but they are in a lot of matches. The Precision Rifle Series (PRS) Finale this month had 56 shooters and 27 or 48% of them were running Bartlein. The maker with the second best showing was Krieger which had 18 shooters.

I would not hesitate to run Bartlein. Actually, they would be my first choice, but you can't go wrong with any of the top makers.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:50 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25 Otter View Post
Looking to buy a barrel for a 300 WSM build. I was strongly considering Bartlein,but they project a 6 to 8 month wait. My rifle smith will be headed out fishing by then,lol. He's an old bench rest smith that only works on rifles through the winter. My second choice is Broughton. What makes Bartlein in such demand? If I can talk my smith into doing it in fishing season,is it worth the BS ?

Most of the top barrel makers have a 12 week + waiting period and you just have to wait.

There are other good barrels that may be available with little or no wait. I have had excellent
results with the Shillen Select Match barrels and you can get them from Brownells in less than 2
weeks if they are in stock in the caliber you want.

I use Lilja as My Primary barrel maker and have not found any barrel that will out perform
them but when someone wants a rifle quick I try to find in stock barrels that meet the select
match criteria and have been well pleased with them.

I however do not recomend buying any other grade of barrel for cost savings and speed of
delivery.

You get what you pay for.

J E CUSTOM
Old 12-06-2012, 08:44 AM
Gold Member

I would not hesitate to use a Bartlein. The last 3 I've built (.243AI, .30-8mm, and 6.5-300wm) are all sub 3/8" guns. They are all Sendero contours. The best groups were under 1/4" for all of them and I shot a 3 shot .96" group at 550yds with my .30-8mm. A friend of mine just built a 6.5-.284 and a 7RM using Bartlein barrels and both shoot in the .2's.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:58 AM
Platinum Member

What contour are you looking for?

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...4-build-83765/ - Build Thread

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...-284-a-124876/ - Gun Pictures
Old 12-06-2012, 04:21 PM
Gold Member

These days, everything from actions to barrels have waiting periods - and the lines are getting longer. Take a look at Rock Creek Barrel's site. They are so backlogged, they have stopped taking orders. The shape of things to come for the next several years. I have started to order back-up barrels for all my calibers, so that when I burn one out, I have another one ready to go. Then the only wait I have is with the gunsmith. Bartlein is worth the wait - as are a few others.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsugarbear View Post
These days, everything from actions to barrels have waiting periods - and the lines are getting longer. Take a look at Rock Creek Barrel's site. They are so backlogged, they have stopped taking orders. The shape of things to come for the next several years. I have started to order back-up barrels for all my calibers, so that when I burn one out, I have another one ready to go. Then the only wait I have is with the gunsmith. Bartlein is worth the wait - as are a few others.

I wouldnt wait 6 or 8 months on a barrel irregardless of who's name was on it.

As far as Rock Creek not taking orders..etc..etc...lets us not EVER forget that these barrel makers ARE NOT "GM" plants. They are "mom and pop" sized companys with 2-5 employees and even though they have ( for us common people) a lot of $$ wrapped up in equipment...might little of it is anything thats "new" and set for any higher speed output.

As far as wating...as I said I sure wouldnt. They are gunmakers ONLINE where one can eyeball their inventory and call them and have the caliber and twist you want sent to you within days. There is nothing wrong with Brux...and Rock Creek has barrels in the hands of several smiths so that one can purchase them.

I wouldnt wait 8 months on a $40,000 car...why wait that long on a $400 barrel

TRY HERE...http://bugholes.com/index.php?route=...8_89_93.....if you got to have a Bartlein in a few days