close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Reply

Bartlein on the way!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Unread 02-16-2013, 09:46 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Sheridan, WY
Posts: 429
Bartlein on the way!

It has been an expensive month thus far, and to top it all off I bought a Bartlein HV 30 cal 1-10 off Bug Holes tonight. I saw the quantity go from 4 to 1 from Monday til today, so I figured I'd grab the last one.
Anyone have first hand experience with these barrels? I have a Shilen Select on my 300WSM and it shoots great.
How much better quality is the Bartlein compared to the Shilen?
Reply With Quote
  •   #2  
    Unread 02-16-2013, 09:56 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Dec 2008
    Location: rathdrum, id.
    Posts: 5,031
    Re: Bartlein on the way!

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by diderr View Post
    It has been an expensive month thus far, and to top it all off I bought a Bartlein HV 30 cal 1-10 off Bug Holes tonight. I saw the quantity go from 4 to 1 from Monday til today, so I figured I'd grab the last one.
    Anyone have first hand experience with these barrels? I have a Shilen Select on my 300WSM and it shoots great.
    How much better quality is the Bartlein compared to the Shilen?
    I don't know in comparison to Shilen, and it probably depends from barrel to barrel, but I can tell you that I have a 5r, 10 twist Bartlein that shoots bugholes in my 30/375 S.I.........Rich
    Reply With Quote

      #3  
    Unread 02-16-2013, 10:37 PM
    Silver Member
     
    Join Date: Dec 2007
    Location: Sheridan, WY
    Posts: 429
    Re: Bartlein on the way!

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
    I don't know in comparison to Shilen, and it probably depends from barrel to barrel, but I can tell you that I have a 5r, 10 twist Bartlein that shoots bugholes in my 30/375 S.I.........Rich
    Nice. Mines a 4 groove. My stock barrel from FN is also a 4 groove, and it's a shooter. I cant wait to see how they compare to the 6 groove barrels.
    Reply With Quote
      #4  
    Unread 02-16-2013, 10:43 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Dec 2008
    Location: rathdrum, id.
    Posts: 5,031
    Re: Bartlein on the way!

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by diderr View Post
    Nice. Mines a 4 groove. My stock barrel from FN is also a 4 groove, and it's a shooter. I cant wait to see how they compare to the 6 groove barrels.
    I've had 3, 4, 5, and 6 groove barrels in various manufacturers and my personal belief is the quality (uniformity and smoothness) of the bore is FAR more important than the number of grooves.......rich
    Reply With Quote
      #5  
    Unread 02-17-2013, 09:37 AM
    Bronze Member
     
    Join Date: Feb 2012
    Posts: 67
    Re: Bartlein on the way!

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
    I've had 3, 4, 5, and 6 groove barrels in various manufacturers and my personal belief is the quality (uniformity and smoothness) of the bore is FAR more important than the number of grooves.......rich
    +1 I've shot 5R and 4 groove barrels and have yet to see any difference in accuracy. A good barrel is a good barrel IMO.
    Reply With Quote
      #6  
    Unread 02-17-2013, 12:20 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Dec 2001
    Posts: 1,063
    Re: Bartlein on the way!

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by diderr View Post
    It has been an expensive month thus far, and to top it all off I bought a Bartlein HV 30 cal 1-10 off Bug Holes tonight. I saw the quantity go from 4 to 1 from Monday til today, so I figured I'd grab the last one.
    Anyone have first hand experience with these barrels? I have a Shilen Select on my 300WSM and it shoots great.
    How much better quality is the Bartlein compared to the Shilen?
    I never compare I used Bartlein 1/11 5r twist for a 30-06,Shilen 1/13 Ratchet rifling 4 groove for another 30-06,Kreiger 1/11.25 5r twist for a 300WSM,Broughton 1/12 twist 5c for another 300WSM,Lilja 1/11 twist for 30-338mag,300mag and 300Wby.

    Good gunsmith and good barrel are great combination for accuracy.
    __________________
    VFW
    Reply With Quote
      #7  
    Unread 02-17-2013, 05:15 PM
    Official LRH Sponsor
     
    Join Date: Dec 2006
    Location: Utah
    Posts: 125
    Re: Bartlein on the way!

    I tried to use mostly all Bartlien Barrels untill they became to hard to get, I don't think you will unhappy about your choice. Quality barrel straight clean chamber and you'll be on your way.

    Good Luck
    __________________
    Steve

    Elk Meadow Performance
    www.elkmeadowperformance.com
    Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Bookmarks

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes



    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:34 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
    All content ©2010-2015 Long Range Hunting, LLC