Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Bartlein on the way!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2013, 09:46 PM
Silver Member

Bartlein on the way!

It has been an expensive month thus far, and to top it all off I bought a Bartlein HV 30 cal 1-10 off Bug Holes tonight. I saw the quantity go from 4 to 1 from Monday til today, so I figured I'd grab the last one.
Anyone have first hand experience with these barrels? I have a Shilen Select on my 300WSM and it shoots great.
How much better quality is the Bartlein compared to the Shilen?
Old 02-16-2013, 09:56 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Bartlein on the way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by diderr View Post
It has been an expensive month thus far, and to top it all off I bought a Bartlein HV 30 cal 1-10 off Bug Holes tonight. I saw the quantity go from 4 to 1 from Monday til today, so I figured I'd grab the last one.
Anyone have first hand experience with these barrels? I have a Shilen Select on my 300WSM and it shoots great.
I don't know in comparison to Shilen, and it probably depends from barrel to barrel, but I can tell you that I have a 5r, 10 twist Bartlein that shoots bugholes in my 30/375 S.I.........Rich
Old 02-16-2013, 10:37 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
I don't know in comparison to Shilen, and it probably depends from barrel to barrel, but I can tell you that I have a 5r, 10 twist Bartlein that shoots bugholes in my 30/375 S.I.........Rich
Nice. Mines a 4 groove. My stock barrel from FN is also a 4 groove, and it's a shooter. I cant wait to see how they compare to the 6 groove barrels.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Nice. Mines a 4 groove. My stock barrel from FN is also a 4 groove, and it's a shooter. I cant wait to see how they compare to the 6 groove barrels.
I've had 3, 4, 5, and 6 groove barrels in various manufacturers and my personal belief is the quality (uniformity and smoothness) of the bore is FAR more important than the number of grooves.......rich
Old 02-17-2013, 09:37 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
I've had 3, 4, 5, and 6 groove barrels in various manufacturers and my personal belief is the quality (uniformity and smoothness) of the bore is FAR more important than the number of grooves.......rich
+1 I've shot 5R and 4 groove barrels and have yet to see any difference in accuracy. A good barrel is a good barrel IMO.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:20 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
I never compare I used Bartlein 1/11 5r twist for a 30-06,Shilen 1/13 Ratchet rifling 4 groove for another 30-06,Kreiger 1/11.25 5r twist for a 300WSM,Broughton 1/12 twist 5c for another 300WSM,Lilja 1/11 twist for 30-338mag,300mag and 300Wby.

Good gunsmith and good barrel are great combination for accuracy.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:15 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

I tried to use mostly all Bartlien Barrels untill they became to hard to get, I don't think you will unhappy about your choice. Quality barrel straight clean chamber and you'll be on your way.

Good Luck

Elk Meadow Performance
www.elkmeadowperformance.com