Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Bartlein or Krieger ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2013, 04:37 PM
Gold Member

Re: Bartlein or Krieger ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
A bad barrel is a bad barrel....Who said anything about making a bad barrel shoot? I was talking about good take-off barrels that were capable of shooting regardless of brand, if the smith does his job. How does that make me "unknowing" that they barrel is the most important part of the equation???

I guess I'm just a moron, so I'll leave the conversation now...Yall have fun.

Good luck with the build, Pro.
Don't take it as a insult because it wasn't. Your smith saying that how it's put together is all that matters is BS in my opinion. I gave an example of several that were put together shabbily yet they shot really well. Could they have shot better if they were put together "better"? I'm sure they would have shot a bit better but a good barrel will shoot without going the extra mile on the gunsmithing end. Like I've said before....the barrel holds 95+% of the accuracy potential of the rifle. It can be screwed up if it's not put together right but for someone with some skill it can still shoot damn well.

So I wasn't really arguing with you, I was disagreeing with your gunsmith.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:04 AM
Bronze Member

I Run A 260 Krieger And A 338Lm Bartlein. Both Shoot Lights Out.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:17 PM
Silver Member

Two Krieger 308's that shoot lights out, two Bartleins that do the same in .243 Win., one .300WM Bartlein that was toast in 1200 rounds (normal for my type of shooting) and another Bartlein .243 Win that has about 600 rounds of .243 Win through it and on track to be toasted at 1200 rounds as well. Have another Krieger on order for one of my .243's. Both of those barrel manufacturers make great barrels! FWIW, I'm going through about 3 barrels a year.

Geb
Old 10-19-2013, 11:02 AM
Platinum Member

I have two 30/375 S.I.'s; one with a Krieger 4 groove and one with a Bartlein 5r. Both are good shooters but the Krieger is better. This may well be because the Krieger is on a BAT action and the Bartlein on a B78. Both clean up very well and the Krieger is 25' faster, but again, has a melonited barrel. Bartlein owners use to work for Krieger. Bartlein is a much newer co. and my smith says he has (never) had any trouble with Kriegers service. I don't think you could go wrong with either, but because of the long time quality, I would go with Krieger........Rich