Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Barrel won't shoot, replace? other options?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2010, 08:26 AM
Silver Member

Barrel won't shoot, replace? other options?

I am close to giving up on a 25-06 700BDL that I have. I am a reasonably proficient handloader and get sub MOA groups with most of my guns. But not this one.

In spite of bedding the stock, floating the barrel, and trying seemingly every powder and bullet combo out there, still no luck. I've tried neck sizing, turning the necks even, varying the COAL to give varying ammounts of lead to the lands. All to no avail.

Premium factory ammo shoots about 2.5" groups. My best handloads come in at about 1".

Now, you might say to be satisfied with that -- but shots in western Kansas are often 400 yards or more. And I'm a perfectionist.....

I cannot get rid of the gun -- it is my first rifle -- my Dad bought it for me when I was 15, about 1975. Its got decent wood, though the checkering is kind of that cheezy machine cut 70's stuff. Was Remington putting out some duds in those years??

It should not be shot out yet (and besides, it NEVER shot well). I might have not cleaned it correctly as a kid -- might have even cleaned it from the muzzle a few times. The bore looks fine, though I don't have a bore scope....

I am close to rebarreling to 6.5-06, with a premium barrel and a couple more inches to boot.

But anyone have any other wild last ditch ideas before the barrel gets replaced?

Bore lapping -- I have heard of this but have never tried it personally?

Recrown the muzzel?

Perhaps I should have a good smith look in the bore one more time with a scope?

You opinions are valued -- thanks.....
Old 07-05-2010, 09:25 AM
Silver Member

Re: Barrel won't shoot, replace? other options?

The good "smith" with a borescope is a good plan. He can examine the chamber, crown, and everything inbetween.

I realize you said you bedded it. Does it pass the test with a dial indicator?

Getting a rifle to shoot under an inch usually takes a combination of things starting with a pretty good barrel, action that is reasonably true, bolt that fits, stress free bedding job, well tuned ammo, and a capable shooter. In other words, a rifle that reliably shoots into an inch group has very little wrong with it to begin with so improvements are made by approaching perfection in the above categories.

Based on your description, I'd start by getting a diagnosis from a good smith with a borescope.

Fitch
Old 07-05-2010, 09:31 AM
Gold Member

just some suggestions,

1. clean bbl.
2. use a GOOD copper remover, mt. extreme, sweet's etc.
3. check action screw tension
4. check bedding to make sure it still is in good condition
5. re-crown
Old 07-05-2010, 09:40 AM
Platinum Member

I recently re-crowned a couple factory barrels that weren't shooting to bad but I needed some gunsmithing practice, turns out it cut the groups by half in the longer ranges and the 100yrd groups were still small but more consistate.

I also found that it's easy to bed a rifle and introduce more stress than it had before, third time is a charm and I got a perfect stress free bedding job.

A competent smith should be able to check all this out and give you a recomendation, rather than pulling your hair out.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 07-05-2010, 09:50 AM
Platinum Member

I have a 25-06 rem 700 bdl that i bought in '79 or '80 shoots like a champ -always has.
Have a 22-250 rem 700 that shoots like your 25-06 -STOP fighting with it -wasteing time and supplies -order a custom barrel -have it blueprinted and bedded by a well known smith and be done.
i fought my raunchy 22-250 for years -bedding -crown -lapped the lugs -different scopes -rings etc. all to no avail -STOP fighting with it !
Micky Coleman blueprinted it and screwed on a Douglas XX stainless barrel -shot spectacular immediately !
Load developement took a couple of hours -last time i checked the gun/load it shot a 3" group at 453yds in decent conditions .

The 6.5x06 will really let you stretch the legs of the 06 case -140 amax and you'll have a 600-700yd deer rifle ready to rock.

Get the old barrel back from the your gunsmith -cut it into 1-2 inch sections -use them when catfishing ..
Old 07-05-2010, 10:11 AM
Gold Member

If My father had bought the rife for me, I would want it to be perfect.

I would order a custom barrel just the way you would like it.

In the perfect caliber and length, have it accurized & Blueprinted by a good gunsmith. Bedding redone as necessary.

If the stock is not what you would ideally like, now is t he time to change it.

Have something engraved on it denoting it as family heirloom.

Then enjoy it until you pass it on.

I had a Sendero that shot like yours. I spent enormous time and energy trying to get it to shoot.

I picked up a 6.5 Rock Creek barrel and it is at smith. Pick it up in the next coupel of weeks.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty to throw off such governments. …” Jefferson

We are very close to this point now.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:25 AM
Silver Member

If money is an issue I would do two things before I went to the expense of a new barrel.

# 1. Recrown the barrel. $30.00 roughly

# 2. Try Tubb's Final Finish $30.00

If this works then great. If not, then you did everything possible before altering it from its original state.

I don't know about you, but my mom and dad bought me a Ruger 7mm Rem Mag for Christmas when I was 16. That gun will never be changed from original except for a new trigger. I guess I am just kind of funny that way.