Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Barrel weight with flutes?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2013, 01:11 PM
Silver Member

Barrel weight with flutes?

Hey guys. I have a chance to buy a new kreiger 7mm barrel for a pretty good price. Im just wondering about weight. It will be for my all around rifle and i dont want to pack around a 15lb gun.

Barrel specs: 28" finished rem varmint (.830 muzzle) stainless

Question: how much does this weigh in comparison to my current 26" #6 lilja? And how much can i save with adding the most and deepest flutes?

Thanks.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:37 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Barrel weight with flutes?

You might loose a couple of pounds. Stainless steel weighs about .286 pound per cubic inch. If you can calculate how much volume each flute will have, you could figure it out close enough.

Unless you must have the long barrel for muzzle velocity, I suggest cutting a little off the muzzle end to reduce weight. Or have the barrel diameter turned down a bit if length's important. Fluting a finished barrel sometimes changes the bore and groove dimensions. If it's a cut rifled Kreiger barrel, then minimal changes should happen.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:27 PM
Platinum Member

If you lose 2 pounds on a Remington Varmint contour from fluting, you'll be able to see the rifling.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:11 AM
Platinum Member

Edd, that barrel's 2 inches longer than Kreiger's standard Rem Varmint profile. It may also be bigger in diameter all the way from the breech end to the front of the reinforce where the main taper starts. So, it could be at least a pound more in weight than the Kreiger standard 4.5 pound, 26 inch Rem Varmint profile standard. Which is why I said "You might loose two pounds." "Might" is the operative word.

But I agree, taking two pounds by fluting a standard profile Rem Varmint would make the flute roots very close to the bore, especially if they were deep.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:32 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnb View Post
Hey guys. I have a chance to buy a new kreiger 7mm barrel for a pretty good price. Im just wondering about weight. It will be for my all around rifle and i dont want to pack around a 15lb gun.

Barrel specs: 28" finished rem varmint (.830 muzzle) stainless

Question: how much does this weigh in comparison to my current 26" #6 lilja? And how much can i save with adding the most and deepest flutes?

Thanks.
Kreiger site has their barrel contours and weight and I'm sure you can get Lilja from his site.

Kreiger Fluted barrels and weight
Fluting

Kreiger barrel contour and weight
Contours
Old 10-25-2013, 01:59 PM
Silver Member

The Border Barrels website has a barrel weight calculator.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:13 PM
Silver Member

What I know gives the standard fluting process (6 flutes) ca. 320g weight - reduction on the particular barrel. Hopefully correctly converted = 11,288 oz.