Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Barrel Twist?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-28-2009, 09:48 AM
Re: Barrel Twist?

What is MOA? Does it just account for the bullet drop? I also hear a lot about the Remmington 700 but I've been told to go with the Savage because its got the accutrigger. Is one better than the other? Sorry I don't know a lot I'm just getting into it, thanks for all the help.

Unread 01-28-2009, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by .280fan View Post
You've gotten some good advice on your rifle of choice and I won't argue with it. I will caution you on your scope choice though. According to the Bushnell website (Bushnell Outdoor Products) this scope only has 20moa total adjustment. Your 308 will need somewhere in the neighborhood of 40moa 'up' to reach 1k. Even if you use a canted base this scope will not have enough adjustment to be able to shoot long range.

In the alternative, Bushnell makes an inexpensive scope that has 100moa Bushnell Outdoor Products. Use a 30moa canted base with this scope and you can reach past 1k.

If you've got money to spend though, there are lots of good scopes out there that will do the job well....Nightforce, Sightron, Leupold....on and on and on.
Will that scope have enough magnification? I've been seeing people talking about huge optics in like the 20s or 30s for 1000 yard shots and I may not go quite that far yet but as I've never attempted a shot to these distances I'm not real sure.
Unread 01-28-2009, 10:55 AM
Platinum Member

MOA = minute of angle. It is a unit of measurement. As you look at scope specifications you will see that most have 1/4moa ("click") adjustments. At 100 yards, 1moa = 1.047 inches. So a 'click' of the scope is about 1/4" inch. As the distance goes farther 1moa changes. For instance at 200 yards 1moa = 2.094" (2x1.047) at 300 1moa = 3.141 (3x1.047) at 1000 yards 1moa = 10.47". (given that .047" is so small, it is generally accepted that 1moa=1" at 100 yards and so on)

So let's say for instance you shot a target at 200 yards and your shot was 3" high and 1" right. I would tell you to adjust your scope 1.5moa down and .5moa left. Since 1moa at 200=2" that would means 1.5moa=3" and .5moa= 1"....make sense?

For shooting long range you will not 'hold-over' on the target. You will dial the scope up to compensate for the drop at that distance. For instance, a .308 zeroed at 100 yards will drop 380 to 400 inches at 1k. Since 1moa at 1000 = 10" you divide the 400 by 10 and you get 40moa. That's how much adjustment 'up' you will need in order to shoot 1k. So you can see that a scope with 20moa total adjustment just won't reach that far.

To resolve this issue, you want a scope with 60 or more moa total adjustment and then you want a 20 or 30moa canted base (one where the rear is 20 to 30moa higher than the front). With this set-up your 100 yard zero will be at about 10-15moa from the bottom of your scope adjustment. This leaves you with 45-50moa 'up'. In the case of my scope where I have a 30moa base and a scope with 80moa I have about 60moa 'up' from my 100 yard zero. This set-up will shoot beyond 1k.

In terms of magnification, I have no problem shooting 1k with a ten power scope. The conventional wisdom is to use a higher magnification. It's a choice that's up to you. Personally the scope I chose has sufficient magnification to shoot 1k, it has great target knobs for easy adjustment, it has a mil-dot reticle and it didn't cost a fortune (you can spend a lot...and I mean a lot...of money on a scope if you want). I didn't make my decision blindly. The scope on my 308 was reviewed on this website...Low Priced Long Range Scopes

A friend of mine is looking for a new scope for his 300mag. His intent is to hunt elk at long range. He doesn't have a ton of money, so he's found a good balance of dollars (~$500) and performance with this scope....Sightron Riflescopes / Binoculars / Sighting Scopes product pages. SII Series - Big Sky - SIIB SS 4.5-14x44 MD

Remington vs. Savage...that's an issue that will be debated forever. Personally, I have remingtons and I have friends with savages. I find that the answer to which is better is up to you.

Here are some pics and specs on my .280.... It is a good example of a rifle that will hunt in the woods (up close and personal) and make a long shot.
I'm not gonna shoot here. I'm gonna shoot waaaaaaaay over there!