Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Barrel threads

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2003, 07:20 AM
Silver Member

Barrel threads

Just finished reading Mr. Vaughn's book and noted with some interest the chapter on barrel threads, the good, the bad and the ugly. Has anyone adopted the ramp thread approach he wrote of? WHO? If not, do you know why?

[ 03-12-2003: Message edited by: MAX ]
Old 03-10-2003, 12:46 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Barrel threads

Nice shoot'n, Tex--that's a question I'd LOVE to absorb some elaboration on--just reviewed that section today ma` self! Apparently, the process will work with the ramp threads cut into the barrel without them being present in the receiver as well, although I suppose the difference is like comparing a single-faced clutch to a double inter-lock. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Hope someone gives some insider info on this thought-provoking topic.

Dave
Old 03-10-2003, 03:41 AM

Mike Belle, a High Master Highpower shooter from Florida has been shooting a bolt gun with Spiralock Threads. He says the rifle/barrel shoots good, but no more or less so than his rifles with conventional threading.

There's a fairly in-depth debate on that topic on Delphi Forum's Florida Highpower. A few engineers ringing in, but Belle was the only one with shooting experience on Spiralock.
Old 03-10-2003, 03:47 AM

For those that have access to Delphi;
Florida Highpower Spiralock Thread
Old 03-10-2003, 08:34 AM
Silver Member

Thanks for the link. Still looking for INPUT..... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] What Vaughn said made sense to me, even the pipe thread approach. There is a bit to consider on this. Some of the converstation at Fla. Highpower is deep, I need to go back and do it at a more considered pace.
Old 03-10-2003, 08:19 PM
Bronze Member

S1

I know from this forum that you do a considerable amount of development work on rifles, and this topic on thread patterns has caught my interest; and now your illusive tease has me more interested.. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Without disclosing anything you may have tried, or are aware of, do you...employ any of these more advanced methods on some of the weapons you build? I'm still completely open to finding someone to work on my 6mm project..

Dave

PS to all in the above: spiralock...I believe that is a patended ramp-thread, is it not? I have also heard of a decreasing radial cut thread, and another thread that...I don't recall all the details, but something about the angle of the pitch changing. [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] Wish I could offer some answers, but would really love to hear from some of those who've messed with the concept.
Old 03-10-2003, 10:43 PM

Cybra,

Yes, we have done considerable research in this area. There are in fact a number of NASA engineers and Aero engineers, that have found a number of ways to more equally distribute thread loads. This however, is only part of the equation to eliminating movement in a standard threaded barrel joint. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]