Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Which barrel should I put on my model 700 SPS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2011, 10:34 AM

Re: Which barrel should I put on my model 700 SPS

Looking at Krieger's web site, I feel like I don't dare ask any questions. I better know exactly what I want, tell them, and don't plan on talking to them until you get your barrel. I'm a little concerned about this. I have questions, and if I'm spending $1000 dollars with them, I would hope answers come with this. Are they as difficult to deal with as there website makes it sound, or am I reading into this too much?
Old 12-23-2011, 10:40 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodakhunter View Post
Looking at Krieger's web site, I feel like I don't dare ask any questions. I better know exactly what I want, tell them, and don't plan on talking to them until you get your barrel. I'm a little concerned about this. I have questions, and if I'm spending $1000 dollars with them, I would hope answers come with this. Are they as difficult to deal with as there website makes it sound, or am I reading into this too much?
If they won't answer your questions, don't deal with them. Remember, you're the customer. If they want your money, they will work with you. If not, take your money some place else. There are plenty of barrel makers.

Alternatively, you can work with your gunsmith and have him order the barrel for you.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZShooter View Post

I don't understand why you want to change the barrel when it is shooting so well. Is is showing signs of loosing its accuracy? Have the velocities dropped off? Is it difficult to clean? Those are signs that it might need changing. A bore scope can also help answer the barrel's condition. How many rounds through this barrel? I wouldn't mess with a good thing at this point.

I'm not sure I really need a barrel. I've only got 320 rounds through it right now. That's why i'm here. I have never owned a gun with add on parts. I have never paid more than $600.00 for a rifle. I have always shot what I had, and been happy with it. Hunting is my greatest passion, and now being a father of two, my time is limited. So with limited time, I feel the need to expand my abilities. I can't afford to pass on a buck of a lifetime at 700 yards, because it's too far, I don't have tomorrow, I have right now. I punch plenty of paper to 800 yds., but we all know a trophy at 800yds. is much different than a paper plate with a 3" circle painted on it. My thoughts were that a new barrel might tighten my groups at 800. Maybe not. Thanks for the input guys.