Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Barrel Set back - concerns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2011, 10:12 AM
Bronze Member

Barrel Set back - concerns

Bought a used savage barrel and it is about 1/2 inches shorter and the threads extend into the factory stampings. I think this barrel was set back and rechambered - same cartridge 220swift. Is there any other concerns than that the barrel threads on well and was chambered properly. If it was "shot out", would this typically have restored it. I am not expecting competition level accuracy and probably will never send 300 rounds thru it. I know the true test is to shoot it. Seller offered to take it back if I am not happy with it but I think I want to shoot it.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:57 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Barrel Set back - concerns

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajabill View Post
Bought a used savage barrel and it is about 1/2 inches shorter and the threads extend into the factory stampings. I think this barrel was set back and rechambered - same cartridge 220swift. Is there any other concerns than that the barrel threads on well and was chambered properly. If it was "shot out", would this typically have restored it. I am not expecting competition level accuracy and probably will never send 300 rounds thru it. I know the true test is to shoot it. Seller offered to take it back if I am not happy with it but I think I want to shoot it.
the onlything I'd worry about is the thread job. If the threads was picked up correctly, you won't have a problem.
gary
Old 06-02-2011, 05:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
As best I can tell, the options are:
(a) Return it
(b) Borescope & Cerrosafe
(c) just shoot it
Old 06-02-2011, 07:09 PM
Bronze Member

First thing I did was run the barrel nut all the way down. When I get the gages I will see how it headspaces, should be fine. I guess my way to test for accuracy will be a few shots.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:44 AM
Platinum Member

The great thing about Savage is that home brew headspacing is a piece of cake. Try the barrel, if it don't shoot well, scope it and/or return it.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:59 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
If the barrel was originally a .220 Swift that was shot out, 1/2" setback won't do much good. The significant throat erosion, which comes from thermal shock fatigue, will extend up the barrel a good 1-1/2" or more from the throat.

When I set back my .22-250 I had to cut off the whole old chamber to get the new throat past the errosion.

On that basis, I'd take a look in it with a borescope. Examine the throat and crown. If the throat looks like a dry lake bed past where the new leads end, I'd send it back. If it doesn't, I'd install it, carefully head space it and check with both go and no-go gages, and see how it shoots.

Fitch
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." R. Feynman. (Last sentence of the Feynman appendix to the Space Shuttle Challenger Report.)