Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Barrel rate of twist

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2014, 01:15 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
Re: Barrel rate of twist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard Schultz View Post
Thanks Michael. Berger must have a margin of safety in their twist recommendation. Good to know.

All Bullets | Berger Bullets
Having the ability to shoot at sea level and sub zero (F.) temps, I'd say Berger is pretty accurate. I believe they use the Miller formula? Not 100% sure. I have yet to see a 200 grain pill not reach 1k without punching perfect holes with good accuracy from 12x barrels. Of course Berger's 200 grain hybrid maybe different but others do just fine.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:31 PM
Silver Member

You're probably limited to 185 grain and lighter. Heavier bullets are likely to be ballistically unstable at 1:12. But unless you're hunting elephants, bullets in that renage should be enough for anything on the North American Continent.

American riflemans triad - God, guts and guns. It built America and it'll preserve America. Abandon one and you lose them all.
Old 04-29-2014, 02:22 PM

Stop guessing and start calculating:

http://www.google.dk/url?sa=t&rct=j&...65397613,d.bGE
Old 04-29-2014, 03:38 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

That is a Miller calculation and is limited to jacketed lead bullets.

GS Custom Bullets USA
Old 04-29-2014, 04:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard Schultz View Post
That is a Miller calculation and is limited to jacketed lead bullets.
The bullets that this thread is based on are jacketed lead. The miller formula works exceptionally well with jacketed lead bullets.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:29 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
The bullets that this thread is based on are jacketed lead.
That is not stated anywhere, least of all by the original post. Given that the thread will be read by users of copper monos as well, it must be stressed that the Miller Formula does not do well with copper mono bullets. It also gives a margin of error with certain types of jacketed lead bullets but it is easy to use. That is the attraction and the temptation - ease of use.

As with most things, easy is not always right and it needs pointing out.

A good example is the easy way to calculate SD: Bullet diameter squared, divided by bullet weight is easy, but it is not right, is it?

GS Custom Bullets USA
Old 04-29-2014, 11:33 PM
Platinum Member

GS,

Below is post number 3 from this thread. Posted by the thread starter. Unless I'm mistaken, the 185 and 190 VLDs are jacketed lead.

Sorry!

My point here is not to argue with you. The point here is that the original poster had questions as to whether or not he could use 185, 190 and 215 grain VLDs, (which are jacketed lead) in a 12x barrel. Miller says yes to the 185 and 190. That fact that miller doesn't work perfectly with monos is not really relevant to this particular thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methow Packer View Post
Thanks. Just got my .300 WM back from rebarreling and discovered they installed a 12 twist. Not sure how that will work out. I want to use 185 and 190 VLD and some 215. Wonder if I'll have to start over cause it should probably have been 10 or 11 at best. At this point all I can do is break it in and try it out for a while.