Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Barrel rate of twist

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2014, 09:52 PM
Bronze Member

Barrel rate of twist

When a bullet manufacture states the rate of twist for a bullet ,example 1-12 twist or better for 185 VLD are they saying that 1-12 is optimum for that bullet and anything faster will work?

I recognize some bullets do better at a faster RPM than others but are they really saying 1-12 is the best for that bullet?
Old 04-26-2014, 10:02 PM
Gold Member

Re: Barrel rate of twist

They are pretty much saying that is the slowest twist that will stabilize the bullet. Not the optimum.

Below link is to the Berger twist calculator. It is pretty informative. Plug in some numbers and see what you get.

http://www.bergerbullets.com/litz/TwistRuleAltWP.php
Old 04-26-2014, 10:36 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks. Just got my .300 WM back from rebarreling and discovered they installed a 12 twist. Not sure how that will work out. I want to use 185 and 190 VLD and some 215. Wonder if I'll have to start over cause it should probably have been 10 or 11 at best. At this point all I can do is break it in and try it out for a while.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:44 PM
Gold Member

On the bright side, it will probably give you some good speeds with lighter bullets.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:31 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

The spec for a 300WM is 1:10" twist. A 12" twist turns it into a paper and steel rifle and it is not a hunter unless you limit the distance by using shorter bullets.

The twist calculator on the Berger page works very well with jacketed lead core bullets. It does not do well with turned copper bullets. For turned copper, use this calculator which works with any type of bullet construction.

NPS Home

GS Custom Bullets USA
Old 04-27-2014, 10:55 AM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Fortunately, the 12x works very well with 185-200 grain bullets. 215 no but up to 200 yes. And as GS pointed out, only in regards to jacketed lead and not solid copper.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:28 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Thanks Michael. Berger must have a margin of safety in their twist recommendation. Good to know.

All Bullets | Berger Bullets

GS Custom Bullets USA