Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

barrel question. Could a ss barrel be too hard to ream????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2005, 04:30 PM
Gold Member

Re: barrel question. Could a ss barrel be too hard to ream????

[ QUOTE ]
410 found in like Krieger barrels are this type of steel

[/ QUOTE ]

Kreiger offers 410 ss upon request; all other barrels are 416 ss [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-08-2005, 05:10 PM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
410 found in like Krieger barrels are this type of steel

[/ QUOTE ]

Kreiger offers 410 ss upon request; all other barrels are 416 ss [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I apologize for the false information. The website is not real easy to read. It looks like they use 416R also. I guess I never said they use it all the time [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ....
Old 12-10-2005, 01:43 AM
Gold Member

Krieger uses 410 SS in all barrels shorter than 27" with a contour below #5. 416 SS used on #5 contours and above. Just for the record. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 05-25-2009, 01:30 PM
Bronze Member

I have never chambered a barrel, but i have done a lot of machining of stainless steel and i do know that the surface can become VERY hard from a tool that rubs without cutting fresh material or a tool that loses lubrication for even a brief moment.

My approach when machining stainless is to keep the tool cutting fresh material at all times. As the tool cuts the stock, the material in contact with the tool is placed under presure and the surface wor hardens. The next pass of the tool must always be enough to cut through the hardened skin. once you stop the feed, the spring effect between the tool and work would cause the tool to rub against this hard skin and your tool dies instantly. the next pass would create more friction(the tool is more blunt than before) and the surface is harder and thicker than it was and it just get worse from there.

If you now take a new tool and attempt to attack this hard skin, you have to attack it with a lot of positive feed to get it through the skin as quickly as possible and hopefully have some tool left by the time you are cutting fresh material again.

I would imagine that with a chamber reamer you have a very long cutting edge and this would require a lot of pressure to get it cutting and then keep it cutting. I for one would not like to be the one taking a fresh reamer to a work hardened chamber.

It would be interesting to see what did cause your problem.

PS. i once found an inclusion in a 3" diametre 316 bar that was so hard that it finished coated carbide inserts as soon as the carbide touched it. the inclusion was almost like a piece of rock or ceramic
Old 05-25-2009, 02:57 PM
Platinum Member

Fortunately I have never broken a reamer (Knock on wood) and hope I never do.

I use nothing but finishing reamers and I have to take it easy and feed .030 to .050
thousandths depending on the size of the reamer (Smaller reamers will load up faster)
so less is better.

On reamers like the 17 HMR I could only feed .010 to .015 thousandths.

Material does make a difference and the worst that I know of to chamber is 17-4-PH.

I have seen tight bore barrels and if the pilot is to big it will cause problems.

If your smith broke 2 reamers in the same barrel the wrong pilot dia. or technique would
be my guess, And it is just a guess!!!

J E CUSTOM
Old 05-27-2009, 05:48 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Did this problem ever have a resolution?

Not knowing the RPMs and feed rate, it makes it very hard to say what could have caused this problem.

Let us know what came of the problem, that was nearly 4 years ago.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 05-27-2009, 11:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftydriver View Post
Did this problem ever have a resolution?

Not knowing the RPMs and feed rate, it makes it very hard to say what could have caused this problem.

Let us know what came of the problem, that was nearly 4 years ago.
Damn I not only type slow (That is what BB said) I also read slow. 2005 ? wow.

J E CUSTOM