Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Barrel question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2012, 09:34 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Barrel question

As Yogi said: "It ain't over til it's over!". I hope the OP will let us know what the final outcome is.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
As Yogi said: "It ain't over til it's over!". I hope the OP will let us know what the final outcome is.
You've got that right. Rem screwed me on a lefty 7rum with a bad barrel many moons ago. The chamber was cut so big in the back it actually unzipped two sizing dies. I couldn't believe they wouldn't stand behind it, but oh, well. I've gotten into other cals. that don't burn barrels as bad. The only thing I wish I'd done differently is to keep the rifle and re-barrel it, as lh stainless are hard to find at times.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:07 PM
Silver Member

Rem replaced my whole gun (minus the $3 stock) a few months ago when I sent it back for copper fouling. 4 weeks total time, door to door.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:15 PM
Platinum Member

WB---Could you please expand on the reason for sending it in for that and why the whole gun needed to be replaced like you stated they did.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:45 AM
Silver Member

Wapiti, that is interesting because the gunsmith said that Remington has been replacing the whole gun lately.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:42 AM
Silver Member

feelinglucky, i think that was a good move on your part to have authorized dealer check it out for you. sending it back may take a little time but the problem should be resolved when you get the rifle back.
good luck and hope it works out well for you.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:02 AM
Silver Member

Gunner, my original stw fouled so bad that it took 2 hours to get the copper out. I finally resorted to JB bore cleaner (the white/blue container) and even then it was still almost 2 hours to get it clean. Copper solvent just shined up the copper. I called Remington and the first thing asked was "what ammo?", when I replied "Remington" she came back with details on returning it to a service center. I called the center, explained what was going on and the guy said the barrel was garbage, he couldn't replace it, and to call remington back, telling them I wanted "factory repair only" and send it to them directly, which i did. Rem then re emailed the free shipping labels and off It went.
Remington took 2 weeks, replaced everything but the stock and said in their report the rifling was missing and damaged. They also fired it 40 times in their "gallery" before sending it back to me. I believe they returned my stock to me because I had used it to practice pillar bedding and they saw that work and didn't want to upset me in case I was "fond" of my handiwork.
The bolt has to be replaced with the barrel as they are number matched.
The new barrel cleans easier but has been a bich to get dialed in. 180 bergers are the only thing it will shoot.