Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Barrel question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2012, 10:59 AM
Silver Member

Barrel question

I have just started with a Remington XCR 270WSM. Factory barrel. As I was cleaning it for the first time I noticed a "burr" in the end of the barrel. My smith bore scoped it and confirmed there was something there a scratch in the grooves about 3-4 inches from the muzzle. As I push a cleaning rod through the bore, as I get towards the muzzle it feels as if the barrel loosens up then tightens back down. I can feel the rough surface of the "burr" with the patch. I took it to the range to shoot it this weekend but was only able to get 3 shots through it because I was cleaning between each shot. It seems like it takes forever to get this thing clean. I'm using RL 22 with 140g accubonds. Not alot of copper but a ton of powder residue. My questions are.
1) Should I send it back to Remington now and have them look at it?
2) Shoot it and see how it shoots?
3) JB Bore Paste it?
4) If I send it to Remington what are the chances that they actually do something about it?
5) Why does it feel as if it opens up toward the end of the barrel?

All opinions are welcome. I know I'll hear scrap the barrel but that is the last resort.

Thanks for the help.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:21 AM
Gold Member

Re: Barrel question

I'd go with option #2. Shoot it and see how it shoots but I wouldn't spend a whole lot of time and money trying to MAKE it shoot well if it doesn't right out of the box. At that point I would get with one of the MANY excellent smiths on this forum and have them rebarrel it for you with a good aftermarket barrel.

A custom barrel, IMO, is a win win. Not only do you get a MUCH higher quality barrel that will most likely shoot everything well but you also get a chamber that is cut MUCH better than the factory chamber which also lends itself to a better shooting rifle.

IMHO, unless it shoots well out of the box, sell the factory barrel and put a good custom barrel on.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:53 AM
Platinum Member

If a new rifle has barrel defects like you mentioned and has been verified by your smith, I would be demanding a new barrel be put on it for free by Remington. Then if that doesn't shoot like you want it, you might think seriously of a rebarrel. Who would buy that defective barrel and why would a person even think about selling it to someone else as was mentioned in the previous post?
Old 06-11-2012, 04:04 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for the replies. I went to the Remington website and there is an authorized gunsmith 5 minutes from my office. I'll take it over there and see what they say about it.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:35 PM
Platinum Member

Good idea and good luck! Let us know what he says and how it turns out please.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:33 PM
Silver Member

Re: Barrel question UPDATE!!!!!!

I received notice from the gunsmith that the chamber was cut too short. He did notice the scratch in the groove of the barrel and will make note of it. He can not do the "trinite" finish on the barrel so he has to send it back to Remington.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:04 PM
Platinum Member

Sounds like a 'happy ending'.

Let us know what remington does to rectify the situation and how it shoots when you get it back.