Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Barrel pitting?!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2012, 08:34 AM

Barrel pitting?!

Hey all, I recently acquired a Remington 700 bdl in 7mm mag, the guy I got it from didn't take excellent care of it. Barrel has pitting on the outside of it, interior looks clear from what I can see. I'll attach a few pics to see if you guys think with #0000 steel wool, solvent, rem oil, and a bunch of elbow grease you think they're going to come out. Thanks guys!
Old 08-04-2012, 08:50 AM

Re: Barrel pitting?!

here's a pic of the bad spot. they are smooth to the touch, i can't feel them at all. but they're visible for sure
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Barrel pitting?!-photo-21.jpg  
Old 08-04-2012, 09:14 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEERWIN312 View Post
here's a pic of the bad spot. they are smooth to the touch, i can't feel them at all. but they're visible for sure
Yeah, that will clean up with a little elbow grease, and steel wool, but obviously will need to be reblued. It dosen't appear to be deep into the steel, but more superficial then anything. Good luck.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:20 AM

thanks for the quick reply, on being reblued, what are the outcomes using a birchwood casey DIY kit or paying the $150 or so that a gunshop would charge? can a DIY deal turn out as good, on a first time try? haha. thanks for the info!
Old 08-04-2012, 09:55 AM
Platinum Member

or you can get the kit and do this.
Cerakote Coatings
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 08-05-2012, 07:13 AM

Worked on the barrel all night at work, put about 4 hours of sanding with 400 grit and I'm sure another 2-3 with the #0000 steel wool, thing shines like a mirror!! I put 3 coats of perma blue on it, and man did it pop!! Just did the top l, picking up my day shift guy now, going to try and match that best I can when I get home. So stoked on how well the finish turned out. All in all, I bet I have 9-11 hours gettin the pitting out but Its definitely worth it! Thanks for the input guys, pics to follow!
Old 08-05-2012, 02:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEERWIN312 View Post
Worked on the barrel all night at work, put about 4 hours of sanding with 400 grit and I'm sure another 2-3 with the #0000 steel wool, thing shines like a mirror!! I put 3 coats of perma blue on it, and man did it pop!! Just did the top l, picking up my day shift guy now, going to try and match that best I can when I get home. So stoked on how well the finish turned out. All in all, I bet I have 9-11 hours gettin the pitting out but Its definitely worth it! Thanks for the input guys, pics to follow!
What you have is not necessarily pitting but the bluing flaking off the stainless steel. You have is an older 7 mag with a stainless barrel (which is a good thing)! I have NEVER seen one that didn't have the same problem after a few years and you will have the problem again before long. What I have done with them is bead blast them and make a modern looking stainless barrel. It is easy to do and they look great.Just make sure you tape things up good that you don't want blasted or grit in, and have at it. I think you will like the result......Rich