Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Barrel life consideration

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 10:31 PM
Silver Member

Re: Barrel life consideration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe King View Post
lol yep that about sums it up

As mike said depends on what you call acceptable. And like i said it depends on how you treat it. You can cook a barrel pretty quick or maxmize its life, and as Mike pointed out theres also melonite treatment, its interesting, but it also seems to have its draw backs.

Myself I'm not at all disapointed with the barrel life on my 22-250, many many rounds and 10 years it still shoots better than me.
I have a buddy that tells me I tend to overthink things, and as I think about it, I agree. hahahaha

I am figuring I could probably make a 22-250 last quite a few years. I will never be using it for target shooting so it will be strictly a practice/coyote/PD rifle, so I think it will probably be alright. Although, I will say, I do like to push the envelope on velocity, but that can be played with a little more once I buy the gun. hahaha I am guessing it will probably be fine though.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:37 PM
Platinum Member

Excel Formula Predicts Useful Barrel Life within AccurateShooter.com

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:28 PM
Platinum Member

cool link
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 03-25-2014, 12:12 PM
Silver Member

Reviving and old thread I started man moons ago to get a little more input.

I am a big fan of the Remington VLS. Probably gonna be my next gun. Just gotta have one of those nice laminate stocks!!!! hahaha Most of my other guns are synthetic so I would like to have one gun in my safe that looks pretty!!!!

I am kinda leaning towards a 223. Cheap to shoot, and probably all I really need. I am considering doing something like sighting it in around 300yds or even a hair more possibly for kicks and grins. Less drop out long to try to compensate for not shooting as flat as some of the faster rounds.

Two questions. 1) What kind of velocities are you guys getting in real life with a 53-55gr bullet? 2) Would I regret buying a 223 over some of the other speedier calibers?

Cheaper to shoot and I already have a whole bunch of brass I have accumulated over the years. Just curious what I can really expect performance wise out of a 26" factory tube. Thanks.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:41 AM
Platinum Member

You won't regret the 223.
I get 3750 from a 40grn bullet
You should get 3250 to 3450 for the 53-55 range but accuracy in your rifle could be slower depending on everything in the world.

I use my 223 for practice, local matches and general fun out to 300yards. It only likes light bullets.

It took about 1000 rounds to figure out what this factory barrel wanted. I have an additional 1500 rounds through it for a total of near 2500. I expected it to start giving up but it is getting better. I'm gonna rebarrel anyway when I run out of bullets for it. Well, maybe.

I try to keep the barrel temp low enough to hold my palm on.
I try not to shoot more then 5 shots before letting it cool, matches break this rule as some strings are 10 round.
I clean as soon as it drops accuracy and with that many rounds and data I know when it's me vs. the rifle.

Don't worry about barrel life for a hunter. Think about it for about 10 seconds for a shooter. Then resolve to use good practices and not worry about it.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:10 PM
Platinum Member

.223 barrels can last a LONG time. Look at the military's M4 barrels, and how much they get shot. Granted, they use CHF barrels, but I think a good stainless barrel will last a long time in a small caliber like .223.

If you want a long lasting plinker that can shoot good out to around 750 yards, look into the 7mm TCU. You use .223 brass, with high BC bullets. I have been wanting to buy a Thompson Center Encore so I can buy different barrels for it, so it will be cheaper to own as a wildcat gun. Buying barrels will be cheaper than building a whole new rifle everytime.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:11 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfseaman View Post
You won't regret the 223.
I get 3750 from a 40grn bullet
You should get 3250 to 3450 for the 53-55 range but accuracy in your rifle could be slower depending on everything in the world.

I use my 223 for practice, local matches and general fun out to 300yards. It only likes light bullets.

It took about 1000 rounds to figure out what this factory barrel wanted. I have an additional 1500 rounds through it for a total of near 2500. I expected it to start giving up but it is getting better. I'm gonna rebarrel anyway when I run out of bullets for it. Well, maybe.

I try to keep the barrel temp low enough to hold my palm on.
I try not to shoot more then 5 shots before letting it cool, matches break this rule as some strings are 10 round.
I clean as soon as it drops accuracy and with that many rounds and data I know when it's me vs. the rifle.

Don't worry about barrel life for a hunter. Think about it for about 10 seconds for a shooter. Then resolve to use good practices and not worry about it.
Why don't you rebarrel it to a .300 Blackout? Uses the same action, and you can reuse your 5.56/.223 brass for it.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.